DPF/CAT delete questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF/CAT delete questions

I have finally decided to get rid of my DPF. I currently have a Bully Dog PMT and for my current budget want to do the DPF-R kit that will allow me to still run my PMT. I know most of you run Spartan tuned rigs (and I will one day join you!!) but I had a question... Is it easier to install and uninstall the DPF delete pipe only or the the DPF/CAT combo pipes? It seems it would be easier to leave the CAT and DPF bolted together by that big flange and pull it out and keep it in my garage and then when needed put them back in together. Is this possible? Or will I have to separate them anyways? Also, once I do upgrade my tuner to a Spartan can I still just use the delete pipes from DPF-R?

Does anyone on this forum currently run this setup? Reccomendations please.

If anyone has gone the DPF-R route my other question is do you have to install both the module and the emulator? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not sure on that setup, but i know just taking the dpf off and hooking the sensors to it is cake. and pulling the cat off is easy also, just depends on if u feel like doing both its honestly easier then washing the truck...i think stock is 3 1/2 inch right? thats what you plan on running?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

To answer your DPF/Cat question, yes you can delete both of them together with one pipe, and not have to take them apart when you do the delete. And yes, you can buy one DPF/Cat delete pipe and be done with it. They are not setup differently for each tuner/module I dont think.

I have not ran the DPF-R module, but I have heard a lot of negative info about the one for the 6.4L Powerstroke. Apparently the one for the 6.7L Cummins is working fine, but there have been cases where the 6.4's running them have gone into regen randomly putting the truck into limp mode while the DPF-R module is on the truck. I am not saying to not do it, but I would seriously reconsider where you put that $400 before you do it. If you plan on doing the Spartan in the future anyways, why not put that $400 towards the savings for it....Just food for thought, not bashing your idea. Just throwing out there the reputation that the DPF-R has.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont know anything about that module but I believe it is easier to do teh dpf/cat delete as a whole. There are less bolts to take apart. It is a little heavier and I havent tried to put mine back in yet but Im sure it would still be easier deleting both. And any delete pipe you buy will work with any tuner.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
To answer your DPF/Cat question, yes you can delete both of them together with one pipe, and not have to take them apart when you do the delete. And yes, you can buy one DPF/Cat delete pipe and be done with it. They are not setup differently for each tuner/module I dont think.

I have not ran the DPF-R module, but I have heard a lot of negative info about the one for the 6.4L Powerstroke. Apparently the one for the 6.7L Cummins is working fine, but there have been cases where the 6.4's running them have gone into regen randomly putting the truck into limp mode while the DPF-R module is on the truck. I am not saying to not do it, but I would seriously reconsider where you put that $400 before you do it. If you plan on doing the Spartan in the future anyways, why not put that $400 towards the savings for it....Just food for thought, not bashing your idea. Just throwing out there the reputation that the DPF-R has.
I think you have a future and sales my friend
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff71 View Post
I think you have a future and sales my friend
What about an attorney?...I want to be a real estate lawyer
Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
What about an attorney?...I want to be a real estate lawyer
ahhh attorney tell me you joking lol or do you like lieing everyday?? i noticed on ya profile other then trucks ya like golf, well other then work, truck and school im on the golf course myself have to hit me up if you down in La would have to get a tee time ha as long as you dont bring me to COURT if i beat you....
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I too say stay away from the DPF-R modules and save the money toward the Spartan. As far as pipes the CAT/DPF combo is much easier to swap. The only hard part removeing the stock CAT/DPF assembly is the fact that it weights close to 100lbs so a helper is great. If you remove it in one piece you don't have to deal with the gasket between the two pieces(alos $80 part if you have to purchase). We build a one piece pipe for easier install, less things to have to line up. Very simple to swap back for dealer visits, we even included the nipple for the factory pressure sensor. I suggest going CAT/DPF both when doing the delete.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Warheads on Foreheads

Guessing you could use a floor jack to help remove/reinstall both pipes together? Well on a stock truck anyways, lifted would be to high.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The problem with the floor jack is the shape of the CAT/DPF is round and tends to roll off the jack. If I have to do one myself, I use a tie down to hold the rear section up as my extra set of hands. This allows you to remove the hangers from the frame and front bolts at the downpipe, then lower the assemble in a "controlled" manner. I don't even remove the rear exhaust section (stock or aftermarket), I just racket strap it back enough to disengage to slip fit between the DPF and first exhaust section. as another note, I usually try the remove the 3 EGT sensors and pressure sensor while the pipe is still bolted in, this way you don't bang or break them on the way out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.