Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

broken H-11 Studs?

4K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  MrJohnWayne 
#1 ·
Anyone ever seen this? extremely upset at the moment. Just studded my wifes 08 a month ago. Found this by chance today while I was going to jack up the back of my dually to adjust the parking brakes... Snapped clean off. Came from the back of the drivers side head...

See less See more
#3 ·
i've contacted the vendor that I purchased them through. Just got off the phone with them and sent them the pictures. Waiting to hear back as to what the plan will be.

Not happy at all about this. That was a lot of time and money invested into fixing the heads and studding that thing. I know sh** happens. I hope someone is willing to stand behind their products and help me out with this.

#5 ·
Kinda looks like those studs mayby to hard, steel will crack like glass if to hard.

#7 ·
yes sir. although it was very tedious it was followed properly. torquing every stud to 90 twice before starting the actual torque sequence. Don't have the sheet but I know it was 4 steps starting at 45 I think and ending at 225.

Here you can see a small spot that looks to be a crack prior to installation and the striations leading away from that spot causing the failure

#8 ·
That's definitely crazy and the first one I have heard of....warrantying it will be fun, as A1 tech was bought out by ARP and no longer exist as of now. I wouldn't expect ARP to be of any help either. Hopefully the supplier you got them from will make it right.

#11 ·
yeah they still have an old facebook page but it hasn't been updated since '13. I'm sure people are still selling what old stock they had and to my knowledge even though arp bought them they are still selling under a1 untill the deplete old stock I guess?? no clue.

I guess I'm lucky I'm getting back a good tax return this year. might as well change out the up pipes this time while I have it apart and maybe I can swing some pistons and just be done with it, hopefully.

#12 ·
Gonna re-do the whole thing because of one stud? Or are you having other issues?

A1 was bought out by ARP for a couple of reasons. 1. ARP saw that A1 was entering the market they have pretty much ruled with offering studs. Primarily to us diesel enthusiasts. They were also offering a product that was superior (in tensile strength and price) to ARP.....the second reason was A1's own fault, and that is they decided to make a TON of stock to have on hand......this costs tons of money up front that they ended up not having. It also played into ARP hands when they came a knocking with a buy out offer. ARP got the market back and A1 is no more. There is a ton of NOS out there still for A1. My supplier ran a promo back in august of last year on the H11's for 6.0/6.4's and that's how and why I picked mine up. 249 my cost for a true set of H11's is stupid to pass up. They still have 256 sets of 6.4 H11's in stock. It should also be noted that there is an option for the non-aged set like ARP sells also.

Edit: and again this is the first H11 (and A1 tech stud in general) I have seen or heard of failing.

#14 ·
thinking about it now I'm not really sure how I'm going to go about getting the old one out. due to the location maybe I can get a small 90* drill and a left handed drill bit to get the rest of the stud out. gonna have to figure something out.

#15 ·
And thinking about it now I might have to have that head rechecked. I've been hearing what I thought was an exhaust leak from the egr block off plate. Now I'm thinking it was coming from the head itself when it would get over 20psi of boost... Hope we haven't trashed that head.

#16 ·
what kind of bit would you need to drill that hard arse stud ?

and the only bad thing I ever heard about the H11 is the lack of corrosion resistance and i have no idea if that was a fact or internet fiction

but something compromised yours for sure
as you noted

#19 ·
Also I will say I haven't followed your build so if you have one then good on you, but if you are going to replace the slugs you damn sure better be doing a cam as well. That's almost more worth while then the slugs IMO on a DD rig.....unless your wife drives like mine.....then definitely do the pistons.

#20 ·
no we really don't push it that hard. but with the way things have been going if I don't change them one will crack within the month of putting it back together.

right now it's just on the canned h&S tunes but it's only set in the middle of the "power" options when you download the tune.

aside from an occasional light to light showdown we don't race it. she pulls a 16 foot horse/stock trailer but that's about it. we don't tow on anything other than the tow setting (already broke her of that, lol).

#22 ·
Well they only sent me 1 replacement stud so I went ahead and just replaced it hoping that it hadn't warped the head or ruined the gasket and to my surprise everything worked out pretty well. Will have to say that trying to get the torque wrench in there was a lot bigger hassle than I imagined it would have been. ended up taking the inner fender out and got it torqued up. All the other bolts were still torqued to spec so here's hoping it stays that way. I did beat on it to see if it would hold up and it never missed a lick.

#24 ·
yeah it just had me worried because the sound I was hearing I'm pretty sure was the head leaking between it and the block. It wasn't a typical sound from exhaust leak etc... just had me worried that it would of blew out the gasket or something.

#25 ·
You would probably have had a cylinder contribution code and quite a bit of pressure in the degas bottle if that were the case.

#27 ·
yeah it was puking but it would only do it if you got over 20 psi

Glad you got just the one stud out
I would do exactly what you did ( replace the one )

also can't the snap on adapter work for the 6.4 also ??
That might have worked but I didn't have one. Will have to add one to my box

#29 ·
I thought i had mentioned it before but I didn't. That was one of my concerns from the broken stud and wanting to pull the head back off. I ran another exhaust gas test (when I found the broken stud) and didn't see any change in color at all. It only puked on me one time that I'm sure of. I'll run another test on it when I get back home in a couple weeks and see. My wife says that it has been driving fine and not losing power like it was when the first gasket blew.

All temps are staying where they should. I've been adamant to her about keeping an eye on the EOT, ECT and EGT. So far nothing has been out of the ordinary and she has been pulling her horse trailer just about every day since I've been gone.

There are no signs of anymore puking and the level is still the same as it was when I last topped it off before coming to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.