Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Vgt switch 6.4

7K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Fwolfrey 
#1 ·
Wanting some experience knowledge from some guys who have installed a smoke switch on the 6.4 in the past.and how the truck runs to this day.

#2 ·
You won't get any help here with making your truck smoke...

Reactions: Justin warren
#11 ·
It's for rolling coal... no benefits in performance.

Most diesel owners that aren't in their teens/20s do not support it.
Hey now. Does that come with exceptions? My truck rarely sees smoke let alone 2k rpm other than when I'm late for work. Lol

#5 ·
I will never help anyone disable their vgt system on any diesel, not even so much because I care that you want to roll coal (you are going to find a way anyway...) but more so because I don't want to deal with you when you start b1tching about cracking or melting a piston... Or wondering why your turbo is sticking...

I care more about the diesel motor under the hood of your truck than I do about you... If you want a cool truck spend the money and do it right, if its going to smoke make it be because you have 800+hp under the hood... Not because you want your friends at school and on face book to think your truck is cool.

And if you want to do it right its going to be in the tuning, and the only way you are going to get a tuner to do it is at idle... Once you step on the noise pedal the vgt system will re-engage.

#6 ·
That's what I was wanting to get more of a answer for.Not any bashing,Thanks.Does it help mpg?I have the single turbo kit from H&S.Never really cared to learn about what this switch was about.But I was wondering if it was a good rout for people who have done it.Or just a waste of time.

#7 ·
Personally, for drivability the VGT system is worth its weight in gold... Combined with the compound setup that our trucks have it makes for amazing power off the line (and very smoke free/low egts). Unfortunately it also means much higher back pressure and limited turbo performance up high. For a DD/tow pig you can't beat our turbo setup.

For competition a big single really does shine (still to a point...) just because of the sheer amount of air it can pull. But a single kills the ease of driving that our trucks have. And fuel economy has more to do with the design of the 6.4 itself. Our trucks power bands generally sit higher than say a cummins, that means there is more fuel to get moving but once you are moving they have more power left over. Our trucks don't do too bad once in lockup on the freeway mpg wise... Its just getting the truck moving that is the problem.

As for longevity, any turbo upgrade is really going to require studs to get full use of it. And at that point you are risking your pistons anyway... The real weak point in a 6.4 lies in the pistons and camshaft design. And until they are addressed it doesn't really matter what turbo you have, there is always that cylinder pressure battle again the pistons.

As for disabling the vgt system itself the ONLY advantage is noise... It gets rid of the angry hairdryer noise that our trucks are famous for........ You will sacrifice performance and everything else...

#10 ·
As for disabling the vgt system itself the ONLY advantage is noise... It gets rid of the angry hairdryer noise that our trucks are famous for........ You will sacrifice performance and everything else...
Here is your answer OP^^^^^ No bashing, no jacka$$ comments....just straight up answers for you.....now let it go!!

Edit: I will also add......you know what else gets rid of the hair dryer noise......WOT runs:scuffy:......or a stg2 cam and BD mani kit....

#8 ·
I understand,What if I would've taken the rout of downloading a max calibration control.And adjusting the turbo to kick in at certain rpms.So I would've had that good sounding idle.Would I have problems down the road.Even tho the turbo will still be running and not just sitting.Only after certain rpms of course.

#9 ·
A lot of custom tunes will do this and close the veins on acceleration.

#13 ·
Are you using the app or browser version? Also, look into Maryland diesel performances kit. That is what I'm going with.

#15 ·
Top left hover over forums > click the 6.4 section > chose the location whether it'd be exterier, performance, wtc, then up top click create new post.

There's definitely a lot of folks on here that can help you out.

Reactions: CrazyS0b
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.