MORE SMOKE? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MORE SMOKE?

plan on getting a 6.4 in the next few months and have been reading alot about spartan.. my question is how much more smoke will i see compared to stock with normal driving. i dont wanna smoke out the intersection everytime i take off. i have a heavy foot and expect to see some smoke, but traffic limits how heavy the foot can be. lol. i want to do the dfp delete and 275, and eventually the 310.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb View Post
plan on getting a 6.4 in the next few months and have been reading alot about spartan.. my question is how much more smoke will i see compared to stock with normal driving. i dont wanna smoke out the intersection everytime i take off. i have a heavy foot and expect to see some smoke, but traffic limits how heavy the foot can be. lol. i want to do the dfp delete and 275, and eventually the 310.
Well seeing as the 6.4 will not or should not smoke at all stock, a good bit more. With the 275 tune you will certainly see some smoke if the turbos are not spooled. If you get into it hard at a dead stop it will smoke pretty good but it will clear up as soon as the turbos get going. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Yea, the 6.4's seem to clear it up no matter how much fuel they have!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thats good to hear. just dont want any or alot of unprovoked attention headed my way. is anyone on here located in or near Charleston SC. I would like to check out a tuned truck and maybe a possible ride. I know what potential a tune can do for a vw gti but not an f250. hard to imagine an extra 275+ whp.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb View Post
thats good to hear. just dont want any or alot of unprovoked attention headed my way. is anyone on here located in or near Charleston SC. I would like to check out a tuned truck and maybe a possible ride. I know what potential a tune can do for a vw gti but not an f250. hard to imagine an extra 275+ whp.
275?

Shoot, there's a 310 tune out now.

Check out the Carolina Powerstroke Association bud, we'd love to have ya!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
275?

Shoot, there's a 310 tune out now.

Check out the Carolina Powerstroke Association bud, we'd love to have ya!
The 310 is not out yet. It's still in the testing process. Spartan will also reccomend a torque converter with the 310 tune, as it has proven to be hard on the stock converter.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

During normal starts and cruising the 275 doesn't smoke at all. Roll into it on the freeway and you get a little puff. STAND on it from a stop, and you'll batman-style smokescreen an intersection.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Emergency Services

You'll find that you really don't have to use much foot at all to get the kind of performance you are already getting by mashing the accelerator every time you take off. If you are happy with your current level of acceleration, then it won't be a problem with you. It will only take a touch to make it take off that way, and it wont' be too smoky. But if you really mash it from a stop, yeah, it will black-out the intersection.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
You'll find that you really don't have to use much foot at all to get the kind of performance you are already getting by mashing the accelerator every time you take off. If you are happy with your current level of acceleration, then it won't be a problem with you. It will only take a touch to make it take off that way, and it wont' be too smoky. But if you really mash it from a stop, yeah, it will black-out the intersection.
The smoke is more during the warmer months with the 275, and in the cold of winter seems like stock.

You will leave a "haze" with any aggressive driving. And yes, it pisses off those behind you!

Mike
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd6.4 View Post
The smoke is more during the warmer months with the 275, and in the cold of winter seems like stock.

You will leave a "haze" with any aggressive driving. And yes, it pisses off those behind you!

Mike
With the 275 v2 and v3 I saw a good bit of smoke in winter time. I mean, our GA winters arent like up north, but I have seen thick black smoke in 20-30 degree weather. Maybe the latest version will be different this winter since it smokes less in the summer than the other two that I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.