be gentle lookin for advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool be gentle lookin for advice

This is my first diesel so trying to learn so take it easy if, trying to make the right decision

Ok I have used the search function and read quite a few threads on not only dpf delete kits and non-delete kits for tunes. I have the bully dog triple dog tuner on mine and have noticed that under normal driving (medium accel) it seems to miss gears. Have read this is a problem thanks for the info on that (still in my 30 day period so ) I guess my major question is there a chip/tuner that will allow me to keep my dpf on there with a moderate tune and should I decide to remove it not have to buy a complete new set up?Personally want to leave the dpf on for now but i know i will remove it hence the question about one of their systems that will allow me to do both tunes, (with and without dpf)

I know everyone pushes these spartan tunes, but how do you get these "custom tunes"? What shops carry them? As in is there any dealers in the state of Louisiana? How hard is it to go back to stock? As you can really tell I am not lookin to make 200 more hp, the 40 to 70 is fine cause i really dont want to grenade this 6.4l, so would it be better for me to just stick with the bully dog (yes i know you guys dont like this tuner or the banks, like i said just trying to get as informed as possible).

As some of you may have read in a previous post also the other reason for the possibility of removing the dpf/keeping it is that ford is tryin to void my warranty due to an airaid filter. They still have not stated that it is void so i dont want to start removing stuff if they didnt void it, tuner is easy to get out.

Anyway thanks for your help and if you can point me to a thread on this that would help also cause i have search but really havent found any answers as to why everyone says go with spartan (everyone says they are great but i have yet seen anyone really state why other than power and oh they are custom) Not saying that arent the best just trying to figure out why they are.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well there is a few dealers on here spartans is a member on the site if i do recall and with the dpf gone youll see a jump in your mpg too spartans sell a kit with there tuner and dpf delete pipe for around 1400 i think a buddy of mine just bout one for is truck its coming within the next couple of days hes only getting around 9 0r 10 to the gallon with his now and hes got an intake banks exhaust and a diablo tuner. the intake i know will throw codes it happened to him and left him on the side of the rode cause it messed something up so it wouldnt run, someone else will get to you soon im not a expert on em just tellinwhat i know lol
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Well you can get lower HP tunes from Spartan, SCT and a few others that are DPF friendly. The reason your bully dog is doing that is because the bully dog doesn't reprogram the tranny, which NEEDS to be done, otherwise you will be breaking the tranny. I have to ask, why are you wanting to keep the DPF on the truck?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the replies, not sure exactly what i want to do twin, mainly like i said trying to gather as much useful info and make the best decision, i really dont want to be bolting and unbolt exhaust parts everytime i need to take it in, yes this thing has been in the shop about 4 times in the last month. once for about a week when it shut down on me, which is being blamed on the air filter causing failure in the dpf, truck is running now just kinda wondering what is going to happen when the next time that message pops on telling me its cleaning the filter

i got the bully dog free so i put it on there, was a gift. but after reading all the info here and seeing first hand i think its going away, i will say it helped with mph and power though.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb017 View Post
thanks for the replies, not sure exactly what i want to do twin, mainly like i said trying to gather as much useful info and make the best decision, i really dont want to be bolting and unbolt exhaust parts everytime i need to take it in, yes this thing has been in the shop about 4 times in the last month. once for about a week when it shut down on me, which is being blamed on the air filter causing failure in the dpf, truck is running now just kinda wondering what is going to happen when the next time that message pops on telling me its cleaning the filter

i got the bully dog free so i put it on there, was a gift. but after reading all the info here and seeing first hand i think its going away, i will say it helped with mph and power though.
Oh there is no doubt it will help with power and mileage, but the key is make it reliable and safe for the truck. I can tell you now that if your having problems with the truck other than the radiator or even maybe the high pressure fuel pump, DO NOT tune it. DPF in place or not, tuning the truck will void the warranty and there is nothing cheap about this truck when it comes to repairs. Personally, if the truck is a headache now, a tuner will only add to it. I would sell it and start over if you really, really, really want to tune it and mess around with it.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM

spartan has both dpf-on and dpf-off tunes. Definitely the way to go if you want it on now but off later.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the only issue i seem to be having is with the intake, i am just going on what ford has told me that the intake caused to much air to be allowed in which caused the exhaust temp to heat up too high when in regen mode causing it to shut down, i have since put the stock stuff back on (only had the error code 2002 show up after the truck shut down) it was cleared when the stock stuff was put on stayed on for 15-20 miles then went off and has stayed off for the last 100 miles or so, again another reason for proceeding with caution here cause i really dont want a repeat but wondering if getting rid of the dpf would elimnate this problem
Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Let's Run'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb017 View Post
the only issue i seem to be having is with the intake, i am just going on what ford has told me that the intake caused to much air to be allowed in which caused the exhaust temp to heat up too high when in regen mode causing it to shut down, i have since put the stock stuff back on (only had the error code 2002 show up after the truck shut down) it was cleared when the stock stuff was put on stayed on for 15-20 miles then went off and has stayed off for the last 100 miles or so, again another reason for proceeding with caution here cause i really dont want a repeat but wondering if getting rid of the dpf would elimnate this problem
Well I can tell you that DPF/regen delete tune will take care this problem, but are you sure those are your only problems? I have never heard of the truck shutting down because the air intake threw a code. I have heard/experience the AFE throw codes and they were all related to the DPF, but never shutting down a truck
Old 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM

there is a guy in baton rouge louisiana....ONE STOP DIESEL performance or repair sorry forgot lol...but his number is 225-505-9355...he sells spartan tuners and can get u wat u want, prices seem high tho, i will tell ya best prices around RUDYS...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks jeff, still trying to decide what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
Well I can tell you that DPF/regen delete tune will take care this problem, but are you sure those are your only problems? I have never heard of the truck shutting down because the air intake threw a code. I have heard/experience the AFE throw codes and they were all related to the DPF, but never shutting down a truck

Ok all I can go off of is what the dealer told me, I had one code something 2002 (which is the filter is below threshold) he told me that this was an improper reading of the MAF sensor which caused the dpf to fill up and over heat once the regen mode kicked on and that ford told me "**** YOU" not in those words, that because the air filter caused this code that my warranty would not cover replacing the MAF sensor or dpf (if the dpf was bad). Now keep in mind that this code did not show up until the truck left me on the side of the road, I asked why if the a/f was causing a screw up in the MAF sensor why did it not pop on sooner(why didnt it register the 1500 miles before), all i got told was oh well it just wasnt registering properly because it had already screwed the sensor. now grant it i have the truck back driving it because i told them i wasnt about to pay 700 for a new sensor, light was on for a short time for that code and has since gone away, the only thing i can do now is drive it and wait for my next clean mode and see if it is going to shut down again

no you see why i am considering leaving it on and removing it, it that **** leave me on the side of the road again and ford say oh well its gonna cost you 2k to replace the dpf , id rather pay 1500 and just remove it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.