Spartan Fuel economy on long trip with light load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan Fuel economy on long trip with light load

My friend and I drove from Houston, TX to Salt Lake City, UT and back last week (4k miles) in my superduty with 1 sportbike in the bed, and 2 more on a 5x8 utility trailer. The 3 bikes + trailer + gear totalled ~2k lbs. Running the Spartan 275 v3 tune we averaged 16.5mpg running 74 mph down the freeway. Lie-o-meter read ~22 mpg the whole time. My truck is a 250 SRW CC 4x4 with 3.73 gears. I hope this helps give people a decent long-trip estimate on mileage.

As an aside, going up some mountain passes in western CO the EGTs climbed to about 1100 when we left the cruise on. Not to shabby in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 AM

Good info! Are you running on stock size tires? If so, I wonder how a set of 37 inch tires with the 3.73 gearing would affect milage at cruising speed....hmmm

Also, if you are on stock tires how can the lie-o-meter so far off?!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Good stuff right there
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM

Its not a lie-o-meter, its a fool (fuel) computer, coupled with a fool gauge.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AED F250 View Post
Good info! Are you running on stock size tires? If so, I wonder how a set of 37 inch tires with the 3.73 gearing would affect milage at cruising speed....hmmm

Stock tires. Only mods to the truck are a Spartan 275 v3, S&B intake, and powerstroker67 delete pipe.

My friend and I wondered how the lie-o-meter could be so far off. The only thing we can figure is that the ECU passes injector pulse width info to the trip computer, and the trip computer uses stock fuel info in order to calculate economy. However, because the rail pressures are increased, you're actually getting more fuel for a particular injection event than the trip computer knows about.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm in the Houston area as well. Where did you purchase your Spartan and other parts. Also, did you install yourself or have it done. Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Stock tires. Only mods to the truck are a Spartan 275 v3, S&B intake, and powerstroker67 delete pipe.

My friend and I wondered how the lie-o-meter could be so far off. The only thing we can figure is that the ECU passes injector pulse width info to the trip computer, and the trip computer uses stock fuel info in order to calculate economy. However, because the rail pressures are increased, you're actually getting more fuel for a particular injection event than the trip computer knows about.
correct me if i'm cause i don't know everything about thee trucks..but you're saying that because the fuel pressure is raised that there is actually more fuel injected.. the programmer should be telling the computer to inject less fuel at a higher pressure to achieve the same atomization
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AED F250 View Post

There are a couple threads on here about the lie-o-meters and being off and what not. I think it is pretty common. Mine is off, it was off before tuning, and is still off with tuning.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM

I believe the mpg calculation is based on calibration that is programmed in. It has no idea that there is more fuel injected it just knows your going faster for the calibrated amount of fuel / air ratio based on air flow so it shows your mpg is higher than it actually is when you install programming to increase fuel.

Going with larger tires will change the speed calibration to show less mpg. If you increase fuel and tire size and do not calibrate for the bigger tires the two would somewhat offset each other.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisdog View Post
I'm in the Houston area as well. Where did you purchase your Spartan and other parts. Also, did you install yourself or have it done. Thanks
Purchased a package from Rudy's Performance. Did the install myself in my driveway. Took about an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammett88 View Post
correct me if i'm cause i don't know everything about thee trucks..but you're saying that because the fuel pressure is raised that there is actually more fuel injected.. the programmer should be telling the computer to inject less fuel at a higher pressure to achieve the same atomization
Atomization isn't what makes power. More fuel is what makes power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.