EGT temps for 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT temps for 6.4?

When reading EGT's through the OBDII scan port, what is the range without hurting anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Are you running a tuner and delete pipe? If so then just don't hold them above 1200 to long. I have maxed out my DashDAQ at 1760 and still been in the throttle and have no issues. There are many others that have seen that high as well. These trucks are designed to handle high temps because of regeneration.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Emergency Services

A 6.4l is designed to handle heat a lot better than past engines. Cruising temp for me is 760-890. Acceleration is usually 1100-1200. Hard acceleration is 13-1400 for a few seconds. Foot on the floor from a dead stop is 1650-1760(max) for a few seconds.

It all depends on the duration. You don't want to heat-saturate your engine at 1500 degrees, but climbing a hill at 1200 will not hurt anything. The higher the temp, the shorter the duration. And if you have been on the highway pulling climbing hills, let it idle for 5 minutes to really cool the engine off. One minute will make the egt temps drop from 800 to 400, but that is just the gas temp. To really get the pistons/valves/turbos/etc cooled down to 350, it will take a few minutes.

Hitting he max temp will not hurt anything, provided you do it for a few seconds. At that temp (1760 max measurable temp) you will heat saturate the engine pretty quick if you continue holding it.

For instance, on a 1/4mi run, you will definitely go past 1760 in the latter half of he run. No problem because it will only be the last few seconds of a 14(ish)second run. Then you let the truck idle to cool it back off.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:58 PM

I dont have a DPF delete yet and im just running a tuner, CAI, and a DPF exhaust kit right now. I know on heavy accleleration i can see 1400's for a secound or two.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have not read too much with guys that are programmed, but towing 16000 in a F450 with 4.30 gears, my brother in law said that the pyro in his truck stock will hit 1300 pretty easy with your foot in it. This is 100 degrees out and towing up a pretty good grade. I5 from Bakersfield to Valencia California if you want a comparison. He just put the Edge Insight on to see what temps the truck saw stock. Everything is hotter than the 6.0's we had prior.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The DashDAQ does not have a max reading of 1760 for the egt's. I've asked DrewTech this some time ago. The reason you are not seeing higher readings is that it's limited by the sensor according to DrewTech, and not by the DashDAQ. I tow often, and many times real heavy, 21,000-22,000. Running the 210 on flat ground at around 60mph I see my egt's around 1050-1150. Going up small hills here in Texas my egt's are running above 1200, and sometimes in the 1300's. Attached is a log file pulling around 22,000 (hay and trailer) going up a small hill. Speed was under 60mph and egt's were from 1228-1290. Take a look at the log file, you'll see that I'm monitoring 17 different parameters.

If you really want to see how high your egt's run on these trucks, then monitor it with your DashDAQ during a regen. On my wife's truck going around 30mph through a small town before we tuned it during a regen I saw temperatures on an average starting from around 1290-1425 by the time I hit 70mph. If these engines can handle a regen going 60+ mph towing a trailer then I see no problem with 1300. I am considered adding a water injection system on the truck to help cool it down some. Just haven't figured out at which boost pressure I want it to come on. I'm considering around 18 pounds of boost, since when I'm towing it always above that....
Attached Files
File Type: zip log0003.zip (4.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by mick1955; 07-20-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.