Fuel Mileage????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Mileage?????

I need some help from the ford camp here. My buddy just bought an 08 F-350 4dr long bed 4x4 with the 6.4 diesel. I think its an awesome truck except for the mileage. It is bone stock with 36,000 miles. I was thinking of trading my dodge or GMC in on one just like it but he is only getting 11 MPG. I know most likely an air box and some exhaust changes will be needed but honestly How much mileage can a guy reasonably expect? And how do we get there without spending a fortune. What programmers work well on these we power isn't much of a concern as MPG. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

By deleting the DPF, people have seen anywhere from 14-23 mpg. Intakes dont really help until you get into the higher horsepower trucks. Get a spartan or sct tuner with custom tunes for the best results. Kinda pricey but you'll love the results. Edge has also come out with a tuner that deletes the dpf. I believe the people's favorite would be the spartan tho.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Spartan will get you the best results for sure. You should see great fuel mileage improvements. I see 13-15 in town depending on my driving and 17-21 on the highway depending on my speed.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is DPF Remember I do not own a ford (yet)? Can you guys expand on this spartan? Since we are on the subject what kind of power can you get outta 6.4 in my opinion there is a ton of potential there my dodge has been my toy but I am tired of banging gears and would like to get into an automatic and you know as well as I do the dodge autos don't cut it.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

DPF- diesel particulate filter. It is an EPA required emissions filter for all new 07.5 and up diesel engines. It burns diesel particles up reducing emissions leaving the exhaust. With the highest Spartan tune available you could see as high as 20 mpg on the highway. You will have to purchase a DPF delete pipe or a DPF/Cat delete pipe to run the high horsepower Spartan tunes. If you choose to leave the DPF on the truck you can have tunes up to 150 horsepower, but you will not see mileage gains in the city, and maybe a 1-2 mpg increase on the highway. Most guys with the Spartan 275 race tune, which is the highest available at the moment are seeing horsepower around 520-530 horsepower and 1020-1100 foot lbs/tq. Spartan has a beta tune out right now coined the 310 tune. My truck put down 550 horsepower uncorrected and 571 horsepower with standard correction.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to ididntdoit5150 Send a message via Yahoo to ididntdoit5150
i have a S&B intake, SCT tuner with innovative tunes, and a dpf/doc delete pipe on my 08 crew cab fx4. not only is the power frickin amazing, but the mileage is incredible. stock i was seeing around 12 city, and 15 highway. now im getting about 17 city, and at least 22 highway. a week ago i made a 50-60 mile trip one way on the highway, and with cruise control set at 70 mph the dash said i was getting an average of 29. hand calculated turned out to be 25.xx mpg. now thats just rediculous
Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididntdoit5150 View Post
i have a S&B intake, SCT tuner with innovative tunes, and a dpf/doc delete pipe on my 08 crew cab fx4. not only is the power frickin amazing, but the mileage is incredible. stock i was seeing around 12 city, and 15 highway. now im getting about 17 city, and at least 22 highway. a week ago i made a 50-60 mile trip one way on the highway, and with cruise control set at 70 mph the dash said i was getting an average of 29. hand calculated turned out to be 25.xx mpg. now thats just rediculous
Hmmmm, I would have liked to have seen your stock numbers, and would really like to see your SCT numbers...Those are the highest tuned numbers I have heard of since I have been on the forum. Sounds like typical LIE-O-METER numbers to me. Why dont you track your fuel mileage over a 2,000 mile period and see how accurate what you just posted is. Or say a 300-500 mile road trip. And I HIGHLY doubt that you see 17 in the city, unless you drive down hill 75% of the time.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Hmmmm, I would have liked to have seen your stock numbers, and would really like to see your SCT numbers...Those are the highest tuned numbers I have heard of since I have been on the forum. Sounds like typical LIE-O-METER numbers to me. Why dont you track your fuel mileage over a 2,000 mile period and see how accurate what you just posted is. Or say a 300-500 mile road trip. And I HIGHLY doubt that you see 17 in the city, unless you drive down hill 75% of the time.
Exactly, I hand calculate mine at every fill. I have a friend with a dodge and he swears he gets 18mpg cause the truck tells him he is.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, where is the best place to look for parts online? I am encouraged by the mileage and power that can be achieved. How much can the tranny handle before it needs to be modded? I personally don't tow much at all. As for the fuel mileage war. M dodge "says" i'm getting around 24 mpg. That is never resetting the calculator in the truck. However when I pencil it out myself it will range between 16 and 20 depending on my driving and terrain (I got a huge right foot). I am sure I will be back to ask more.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffpmason View Post
Thanks for the info guys, where is the best place to look for parts online? I am encouraged by the mileage and power that can be achieved. How much can the tranny handle before it needs to be modded? I personally don't tow much at all. As for the fuel mileage war. M dodge "says" i'm getting around 24 mpg. That is never resetting the calculator in the truck. However when I pencil it out myself it will range between 16 and 20 depending on my driving and terrain (I got a huge right foot). I am sure I will be back to ask more.
If your looking to do a Spartan tuner with the 275 tune, a cold air intake, and a full exhaust, you will not have any tranny problems. These transmissions are holding 550-600 horsepower no problem. As far as getting the stuff you need, check out Cobb's Diesel Performance. His link is in my signature below
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.