Injection pump ?s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injection pump ?s

I found an oil leak last night so I'm gonna put the truck back to stock to try and get it fixed under warranty. I just got the 275v4 tune and I'm pretty sure I'm the only truck thats still cutting out. Matt said he thinks it may be the injection pump. He told me he would look at it so I sent him a log to look at. Question is...how should I go about asking the dealer to look at it? I don't want him to start looking harder into the truck and void the warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Emergency Services

Mine was a no-brainer. It wouldn't go over 40mph in any gear, and the P0087 code. Well, a no brainer, that is if the ford dealer I went to would believe what I was telling them. After I got really pissed and told them to actually *drive* the truck, they figured out that it was not working.

The service writer doesn't like me much any more.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Eli, the thing is with his truck is that it isn't doing it stock. He is only getting the issue with the 275 tune, just like I have an issue that only occurs with the 310 tune. Matt has told both of us that it is a high pressure fuel pump issue and not a tuning issue. The deal is with us is that it won't happen with any other tunes or stock so it's hard for the dealer to determine anything. When my pump went out 5 months ago I was getting codes (P0087 and P0001) and it wouldn't run worth a damn in any tune or stock. This is totally different and it's going to be hard to convince my diesel tech is mechanical and not tune related (since he is tuner friendly).
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 AM

Jeff what all did Matt actually say? What was his explanation just curious??
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Emergency Services

I understand where you are coming from. My truck wasn't right for 6 months before the pump failed completely. I took the truck in several times (before the spartan system) for what I thought was low boost pressure. Later I realize that it wasn't fueling, so it wasn't boosting. I started to get the P0087 while driving, but no apparent problem (with the 210). Then it started to give me the code when accelerating, then finally it started to reduce power when you get the code. Then I returned to stock, took it to the dealer. They changed some back pressure sensor. I drove it around the block and it wouldn't go over 30. I took it back. Finally I got them to try and drive the truck, and it did it for them.

You may not be able to get Ford to replace it until it does it stock. To them, yours is working well enough, and doesn't need changing.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6405 View Post
Jeff what all did Matt actually say? What was his explanation just curious??
He said he thinks it's some valve or controller. I don't remember, but I think he said vcv controller and valve

He said he tried to recreate the issue on their truck after I sent him logs and said he couldn't find the issue. It's just weird because at WOT my trucks runs perfect, but if I ease into the throttle around 65-69 mph it will defuel, injector rattle gets terrible, and then it's fine. I can't do it except between 65-69 mph. And after it does it once I can do it over and over, so it's not limp mode. It's just a defuel and then a rail pressure spike. It's really weird. The 310 is the only tune that does it....the 275 runs normal like it always does
Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Mine only does it when I stomp it from a dead stop with the 275 tune. I can ease into it all day long. I have no problem running the 210.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 PM

"As for the defueling- if it is still defueling, you absolutely, positively, have a problem with your injection pump or 1 of 2 of the control valves, either volume or pressure."
This is what matt said on the other forum. I'm kinda bummed out because I only had the 275v3 for a day and got the P0088 code. Then got this one v4 and my truck's jacked up. Just don't know how to go about telling them to take a look at it. Where exactly is it located? Is there something I should look for?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudshep31 View Post
"As for the defueling- if it is still defueling, you absolutely, positively, have a problem with your injection pump or 1 of 2 of the control valves, either volume or pressure."
This is what matt said on the other forum. I'm kinda bummed out because I only had the 275v3 for a day and got the P0088 code. Then got this one v4 and my truck's jacked up. Just don't know how to go about telling them to take a look at it. Where exactly is it located? Is there something I should look for?
The HPFP is located in the engine valley under the turbochargers. You will see a aluminum cover if you look hard enough, its nicely tucked down in there!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Emergency Services

You may just have to drive it till it breaks. That is what I eventually did. Even when mine wasn't throwing P0087 codes and losing power, the thing wasn't working right. Even running the 210 tune wasn't that great compared with my old 6.0l. When I finally got a new pump it was a whole new experience in power. Stock was great, much better than my old 6.0, then tuned was just out of this world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.