stock filtration vs aftermarket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AaronATX
stock filtration vs aftermarket?

hey,

i am asking about this for a buddy of mine. does anyone have the specs on the stock 6.4 air filter filtration, vs the banks intake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Unless he is doing a DPF delete with a Spartan/SCT tuner he doesnt really need to fool with a cold air intake. If he is just doing a drop in filter for the stock air box, then I am sure that the Banks is a little better than the stock. Someone else with chime in on that. But as far as the intake, he will most likely get a code all the time with an aftermarket intake and the DPF is still on the truck
Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Emergency Services

yeah we both know that, he got it as a gift and figures he might as well put it on, unless someone has a good reason not to, such as poor filtration.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would assume that it probably does filter better than the stock. Banks makes a pretty good intake.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Probably filters ~95% as good as stock, with about 5% more flow than stock.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Emergency Services

as far as warranty goes, he got a CEL from it (probably MAF sensor), and took it into the shop to have it checked out and they are now trying to void his warranty because of the intake. he also has a filter-back magnaflow and they are trying to void him for that too. i thought under the magnusson-moss act they can't void the whole truck's warranty because of something like that, i.e. if the lights stop working they can't waive the warranty on it because he has an aftermarket intake, etc. can someone clear this up for us? we've been on google all day and can't find a direct answer.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronATX View Post
as far as warranty goes, he got a CEL from it (probably MAF sensor), and took it into the shop to have it checked out and they are now trying to void his warranty because of the intake. he also has a filter-back magnaflow and they are trying to void him for that too. i thought under the magnusson-moss act they can't void the whole truck's warranty because of something like that, i.e. if the lights stop working they can't waive the warranty on it because he has an aftermarket intake, etc. can someone clear this up for us? we've been on google all day and can't find a direct answer.
I would raise hell about both. The DPF back Magnaflow is perfectly fine. It has the vents on the tip of the exhaust and it designed to work with the 6.4 with the DPF still on. He should not have taken the truck in for the CEL though. All cold air intakes with the exception of the S&B will throw a code while the truck is stock. It actually will throw a code that has to do with the DPF as well, it is weird. But I would be up there giving that dealership hell and ask them what reason they have for voiding the warranty. Neither one of those aftermarket parts will affect anything else on the truck. My dealership is cool with my truck, so I dont know how to really deal with it other than make them prove how what is done is damaging the truck.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tell him to go to another dealer! I have a sct dpf delete and im getting a whole new engine because a injector stuck open and burned a hole in a piston. Tell him to go get his truck and never talk to them agin. He should go talk to a salesperson and ask if they are a tuner friendly dealer
Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
To answer the original question, I'm pretty sure banks uses a K&n filter, which suck. And by suck i mean let more dirt into the engine.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
To answer the original question, I'm pretty sure banks uses a K&n filter, which suck. And by suck i mean let more dirt into the engine.
Why would banks use a K&N filter?? Im not saying your wrong or anything, just curious as to why a company like the almighty Gale Banks has would use an inferior filter for their intakes. I am *not* a Banks fan by any means, but I have always heard pretty good things about ther cold air intakes.

Last edited by 08stroker250; 06-24-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Left out the *not* and didn't want people thinking I am a Banks fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.