Boosted 4 wheel launch... Boom.. truck wont move - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Boosted 4 wheel launch... Boom.. truck wont move

Yup i did it i definatly f'd up this trany. I was driving down a country road when i decided to stop and do a 1/4 mile time with the DD. I put it in 4 hi and made SURE it was in 4 hi. (it was) and began to build boost. I built 20 pounds and let off the brake.. truck jolted forward slamed and slipped an immediatly lost power transfer through the tranny. Truck would just rev up in drive and go nowhere, 1st gear nothing, 2nd gear nothing, 3rd gear i had to rev it up and it kicked in but was slipping bad and i limped home less than a mile. also no reverse gear.

So this morning i had to have my dad tow me at 5 Am with his duramax and a towstrap to the local transmission shop where my brother has gotten work done. I printed off some info about suncoast tranny parts and their super duty rebuild kit, billet input shaft, trans filter, torque converter, and mag hytec deep pan kit. What else is there? I dont wat to go through this again.

I will keep yall posted when they tare the tranny down.

Thanks

Evan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Emergency Services

That sucks. Tell us all how many miles you have, the kind of driving you normally do, how long you have run the Spartan system, what tune, etc. I think we would all like to learn as much as we can about this. This is the only thing that I worry about on my F350.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM

27000 miles, had the spartan since about 20,000, 250 tune. the weird thing is that i hadn't done anything out of the usual, i have launched in 4 wheel drive before, maybe 10 times total as long as i have had the system.

Evan
Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Talked to the guy at the transmission shop and he is going to tear into it tomorrow and give me an update.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Let us know whats up. This is very unusual.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 PM

I had the same symptoms. Mine was the Reverse Planetary Ring Gear. It broke where it connects to the Input shaft. Should have it back around noon. Ill get a pic if they still have the broken parts. Also I only had 29000 miles maybe 5000 with the Spartan.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 AM

hope your truck is okay kinda had the same thing happen to my dads friends truck up here in hawaii but it was a 6.0 and when my dad went to pull the truck all it did was spin tires because the tranny was locked up too tight and earlier that week my dads friend went to have his tranny rebuilt but i guess they didnt do a good job
Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 AM

No warranty ??
Old 05-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos_GTSR View Post
I had the same symptoms. Mine was the Reverse Planetary Ring Gear. It broke where it connects to the Input shaft. Should have it back around noon. Ill get a pic if they still have the broken parts. Also I only had 29000 miles maybe 5000 with the Spartan.
If you are breaking metal parts instead of wearing clutches and expendable parts, that is a sure sign of material defect. People are using (and abusing) these things all to hell, and not breaking metal parts. Granted, it probably wouldn't have broken under the normal 350 Brake Horsepower tuning. Maybe it would have eventually anyway (just not at 29,000 miles). I don't know if I would call it a dud, it just didn't have quite the same enormous extra strength that most all the other 5R110's are built with.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 AM

Just got back from the dealer and Im not happy with the ignorant service manager. When I took the truck in for the Tranny I told them the EGR sensor was dead also, not just once but several times. So when I walk into the Service area the Service Manager said "I dont know what that chip did it wouldnt go over 50mph" I then told them It is not anything with the "Tune" that it was the EGR sensor. Just the way she said it was so Ignorant and treating me like a child. They have had my truck 2 1/2 weeks and I use it for work I could have bought 3 suncoast trannies with as much money Ive lost having my truck in there, no loaner, no phone calls Ive had to go into find out anything. Anyways Ill end my rant sorry it was so long Im pretty mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.