Terrible shifting after tunning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Terrible shifting after tunning

I am at a loss here, i switched from H&S XRT Race tuner running the HD300 tune and went with Spartan tunning to see how it did compared to the H&S. NOT knowing that i can not return the tuner once installed on my truck, i put the tune on and from then on, its been hell. I understand people are having the issue with "rev slam" and the tranny locking in a higher gear and having to put it in park and shut it off and try again. (ive had that issue a few times ever since spartan tunes were installed) This is what I personally have came to a conclusion of. I took the Spartan tuner off my truck and installed the XRT again and guess what, not ONE time did it have poor shifting and all these issues. I haven't experienced all these tranny issues until i went with spartans tunes. Even with stock tunning, it doesnt do it. I just dont get it. I am told that i need to keep driving on it and it will clear up. What tranny needs 200+ miles to "re learn?" I have spoke with spartan over this but its just not getting me anywhere. They were very easy to work with, dont get me wrong, but I am still having these issues once Spartan tunes are installed. Is it possible that my tunes might not be the same as everyone elses? TONS of people love spartan tunning, and I dont want to ditch the tuner if it is capable of being a good reliable tuner. Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you do the relearn process that's posted up on Spartans site as well as here in the performance section? Should help quite a bit. Also did you try the half quart of fluid trick? I have spartan and love it. The shifts are much firmer than stock but I have put about 800 miles on the truck with the tune and it shifts great. Firm but great. I have never experianced the H&S tuning.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've already added fluid and done the relearn multiple times. I'm putting the 300 tune on with late lockup and trying it out again. What tune do you run?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-25-2014, 02:09 PM

I run the 250EL tune due to mostly highway driving to improve mpg's but it's got plenty of power if I feel the need to put my foot in it.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris 6.4 View Post
I run the 250EL tune due to mostly highway driving to improve mpg's but it's got plenty of power if I feel the need to put my foot in it.
I was told the lower tunes have the softer tranny shifting. That may be why. But I've heard from some others saying the have no issues with their shifting. I understand I'll have a more firm shifting, but it's just doing weird things. Won't decide what gear to go into around 45 mph @ around 50% throttle or more, locks into 3rd when I come from a complete stop.... That kinda stuff. It never did it stock, or with H&S. Just seems like tunning. Seems like it could be fixed thru tunning. But I'm in no way experienced with this stuff. So don't take me word for it.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:54 PM

To my knowledge the trans tuning is the same for the 250 and up. I've heard of the same issues you're having sound similar to most with the rev slam sounds like you've tried the known fixes which leaves me stumped. All I can say is I hope a reload and going thru the relearn solves it for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I'm on my 4th Re load and about to do the 4th Re learn and yet again, give it a few weeks to see if it clears up. I don't mean to scare people of this product, I know people are loving this tuner, I just am not sure if it's just something small going on.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM

I've gone about 6-800 miles since I loaded my tune and this might sound a little crazy but I swear that the trans is still getting smoother as the miles go... Either that or I'm just getting used to the firmer shifts. Not sure how much you drive but maybe you can try just putting more miles on the tune and see if it doesn't become consistent and smoother for you.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris 6.4 View Post
I've gone about 6-800 miles since I loaded my tune and this might sound a little crazy but I swear that the trans is still getting smoother as the miles go... Either that or I'm just getting used to the firmer shifts. Not sure how much you drive but maybe you can try just putting more miles on the tune and see if it doesn't become consistent and smoother for you.

This. I was running the 275EL tune but recently switched to the 300EL tune (I drive 80+% HWY). At first the transmission was a little 'quirky', but after 500+ miles my transmission shifts as smooth as butter, while retaining the 'firm' shifts I love.

I also did *not* perform the 'relearn' process just to compare to the other tunes I've ran.

TL;DR 500+ Miles w/o a 'relearn' and my shifts are perfect.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm seriously starting to wonder if I have corrupted files. Cus I noticed yesterday, that while in the 300 tune, my truck surges at idle. And yet again, it locked itself into 5th gear after driving it around to clean up the shifting. I really want the spartan to work. I paid a lot for it. But so far, id rather take a crappy canned tuner over this. I really hope It will get fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.