Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

replace vs rebuild transmission

26K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  colonel angus 
#1 ·
Heres a little background on my truck, 2008 f250 crew cab 4x4 6.4 with a spartan tuner (kept strictly on the 275 tune), afe air intake, 4" straight exhaust, arp head studs, egr delete, 35" toyo mud terrains and 186k miles on the truck. Now the truck began acting a little funny a few days ago so I kept paying attention to it and really just taking it easy on her and then on Saturday I began to notice the transmission slipping. It got worse very quickly to the point where I was just hoping I could just get it home but at highway speeds it had alot of trouble locking the torque converter in and taking off was awful. It threw the code for a bad torque converter, I don't remember exactly what it was. I knew I'd have to replace the tranny sooner or later but was hoping to save up for it. I plan on keeping the truck for quite a while. So as far as rebuilding or replacing it all of the work will be done at ford, since there's not any reputable transmission shops near Tuscaloosa. But heres my options and I'm just looking for opinions on what the best/most reliable deal is for the money.

Torque Converter options:
-Suncoast: $1350
-DPC- $1300
-River city diesel:$1300
-AFE f3 $1100
-ATS 5 star:$1400
-revmax stage 4:$600
-revmax stage 5:$1100

Rebuild kits:
-Elite diesel: $690
-Revmax: $700
labor to rebuild is about $1200

Complete transmissions:
-Elite diesel stage 1:$3200 (3 yr parts warranty)
-Elite diesel stage 2:$3800 (3 yr parts warranty)
-Suncoast- I was quoted $10k?
-ATS stage 1: $4500 w/ TC (everyone says not to go with ATS), 5 yr unlimited warranty
-ATS stage 2: $5000 w/ tc
-Revmax Signature Series: $3400 (2 yr unlimited mile warranty)

So what does everyone think? I need to get parts ordered and get this thing in the shop quick
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Unless you have built a 5R110w before, you are better off with a complete transmission from the vendor of your choice.

We are becoming a site sponsor for powerstroke.org and should be all signed up by the end of the week!

#5 ·
Yeah someone ran their TC in their brand new rebuilt tranny.... until the T failed and took the tranny with it!

I would look at a fully built tranny.

I am getting a tranny from Andy Warren with a PI Torque Converter!< considered the best)

Andy Warren is with Warren Diesel and can be reached at (814) 425-1306

Warren Diesel

These guys KNOW what their doing!!!

#6 ·
your other option that would get you a labor warranty also since you stated ford is doing the swap is a Ford reman

no matter who's u use make sure you abide by the install guidelines like cooler flush/replacement line pressure checks etc

if mine goes it's coming out in the driveway to save labor cost and that $ is going into an aftermarket re builders complete transmission but I don't have one picked out yet

#7 ·
Just an update, I found a pretty reputable shop here that seems to know what theyre doing and decided to have my tranny rebuilt. Using a revmax rebuild kit along with their torque converter. Should have the truck back tomorrow or wednesday and the total cost should be around $2400.

#9 ·
Subscribed.....

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.