Need advice on transmission replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice on transmission replacement

Hey guys!

First off, I've been a long time reader of the forums here, but just joined as a member. I really appreciate all of the good advice given. About 5 months ago, I bought my dream truck: 2008 F-350 SRW King Ranch. I'm running a Mini Max with the dpf delete, EGR delete, 4" MBRP turbo-back, and a Airaid cold air intake. I bought the truck with 132k on it, it now sits at 142k. Unfortunately, about two weeks ago, my truck locked up in fourth gear on the interstate and refuses to shift past that. I took it into a shop where they drained the fluid and found a considerable amount of metal. Looks like I need a rebuild or a new transmission.

My problem is I can't afford to rebuild the transmission the way it needs to be done to prevent further problems with my tuning. I have been trying to sell the truck as-is for $18,000 to avoid taking a huge loss on the truck (I bought it for 26,000). However, its kind of hard to sell the truck as-is. I had a dealer offer me 16,000 in trade in value, but I'm trying to get a little more. My question is: would you guys consider it a worthwhile endeavor to buy a used stock transmission and install it? I have toyed with the idea of selling my Mini-max to help fund the stock transmission and trading my mbrp exhaust for a stock exhaust system. I could then either sell the truck privately or possibly take it to a dealer with hopes of maybe $20k in trade in value? If this sounds like a good idea, which 5R110W would work? Could I go with one from a 2006 6.0? I found one in my area with 40k miles for 600 dollars. As of right now, I am without a vehicle and would really like to sell the truck and get into something a little cheaper to maintain like a wrangler or an older tacoma as much as it pains me to do it. Thanks for the help guys, and I apologize for being so long-winded! Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Depends on the build date of your truck, but after 5/21 the trans is actually different. I don't believe that you can use one from an 06 because if I'm not mistaken, the connector is different.

You might try car-part.com and see if they can get one out to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.