Overheating unloaded - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Overheating unloaded

2010 6.4 with 86,000 miles. 4" exhaust, egr delete, spartan tuner. My dad was driving the truck over galena summit here in idaho and transmission temps went to 210 on him unloaded running spartan 250 late lock tune. I had the spartan set to start screaming at 210, and of course the factory gauge hadn't even moved out of the middle. All other temps looked good. It was probably 95 degrees outside. Fluid level looks good with 35,000 in since the last service. Transmission shifts just fine, no flares or weird tc unlocks. No codes either. Coolers look clean. The way I understand it this transmission has a thermostat that actuates at 165, possible thermostat failure? What else should I be looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't know what the gelena summit is but I imagine it to be a but of a climb. That's nothing to worry about at all for trans temp when climbing a hill. Your fine
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Like srjd said, don't know the lay out of the climb, but noticed you said your tune is late lock.
If he was having to slow to the point the torque converter lock up clutch was unlocking & it was driving on the torque that will build a lot of heat really quick. 210F isn't hot enough to worry about, but if the converter clutch is unlocking on a climb due to speed restrictions, try using tow haul to take advantage of the modified shift schedules & converter clutch lock ups.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't know the exacts on galena but Its 5-7% almost getting up to 9,000 feet. I always thought optimal trans temp was 175, and keep it below 200? I've pulled a 24 ft gooseneck with 14 head of cattle in it over galena with my 6.0 and my temps never went beyond 190, and I see 150-170 while driving unloaded. They're the basically the same 5r110 what gives? My gut tells me there's something else wrong here too though, because that alarm has been set in the same place since 36,000 miles and it has never gone off even with loads going into the 28,000 range. It even hopped up over 200 when he was driving it back to the ranch on flat road at 55?

I think TD-5 is right on the converter lock though, i think going up you're looking at 35 regular driving, and about 15 with all the granolas on their bikes. We'll definitely use an early lock or the tow haul on the next trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.