5th Built Trans...rev slam in 25 miles?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th Built Trans...rev slam in 25 miles?!

5th time my trans has been rebuilt in the past 8,000 miles. Loaded up the SCT Performance canned tune that has never given me problems and 1-2 is fine 2-3 slight flare 3-5 rev - slam if I don't let off. Now usually this would go away after about 5-10 miles. But not this time...too much line pressure or not enough? Trans has brand new heavy duty clutches, Solenoids, pump, trans go shift kit, gogo direct drive. The only thing not changed was the TCM, and cooler. Cooler was flushed though. The truck is a Job 1...could this be causing it? I'm BEYOND lost. Any help is appreciated since I've tried about everything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Every other shift I can barely feel. Is the shift flare/ rev slam a lack of line pressure or can too much cause it too? If pressure was upped by mechanical means then topped with a tune would that cause these symptoms?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I do not have a built transmission yet, but plan on going that route. Just want to put that out first.

I would first get some custom tuning. The custom aspect the tuners can provide will account for your built transmission. Also, I know when I load any tune with my SCT, canned or custom, for the first about 50 - 75 miles, any hard runs cause some really brutal shifts here and there. This is because of the trans re-learn process the TCM needs after any tuning change. Maybe try to run it fairly 'easy' for a few miles then give it what for.

Outside of these two things, I cannot offer much more, personally. But I'm sure someone can help better...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
I do not have a built transmission yet, but plan on going that route. Just want to put that out first.

I would first get some custom tuning. The custom aspect the tuners can provide will account for your built transmission. Also, I know when I load any tune with my SCT, canned or custom, for the first about 50 - 75 miles, any hard runs cause some really brutal shifts here and there. This is because of the trans re-learn process the TCM needs after any tuning change. Maybe try to run it fairly 'easy' for a few miles then give it what for.

Outside of these two things, I cannot offer much more, personally. But I'm sure someone can help better...
I have use KEM's 250 tune and shifts are absolutely brutal. That tune is what I believe caused my first transmission failure. Could too much pressure cause these nasty shifts?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted6.4 View Post
I have use KEM's 250 tune and shifts are absolutely brutal. That tune is what I believe caused my first transmission failure. Could too much pressure cause these nasty shifts?
Yes, poor tuning is one of the biggest causes of trans failure, that is why everyone tells people to run from Edge, Bullydog, Banks, Superchips, etc, etc, when they start talking about tuning. I have also heard some good and some bad about KEM tunes in regards to transmission life. I have never run those tunes, so I cannot weight in there. I do have Matt's tunes and the shifts are flawless, his shifting is one of the biggest reasons I run his tuning.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Yes, poor tuning is one of the biggest causes of trans failure, that is why everyone tells people to run from Edge, Bullydog, Banks, Superchips, etc, etc, when they start talking about tuning. I have also heard some good and some bad about KEM tunes in regards to transmission life. I have never run those tunes, so I cannot weight in there. I do have Matt's tunes and the shifts are flawless, his shifting is one of the biggest reasons I run his tuning.
I emailed IDP to talk about trans files. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this today.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Please keep us updated as that could help someone in the future with the same issue! Oh and
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Please keep us updated as that could help someone in the future with the same issue! Oh and
Talked to KEM as well, was told to check connections to transmission. I know where the TCM and that harness is, are there any others I should check?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted6.4 View Post
Talked to KEM as well, was told to check connections to transmission. I know where the TCM and that harness is, are there any others I should check?
that is the only connector , to me if that connector was an issue , youd be throwing some kind of trans code
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
that is the only connector , to me if that connector was an issue , youd be throwing some kind of trans code
That's what I thought but he said he's had an issue where a connection was only making contact some of the time and it would not throw a code

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.