Why does my truck fall flat on its face shifting into 5th at WOT (Tuned/ DPF Delete)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why does my truck fall flat on its face shifting into 5th at WOT (Tuned/ DPF Delete)?

I am running IDP's Xtreme Street Tune (approximately +300rwhp) and I've been enjoying the hell out of it for about 5,000 miles. But lately, with the foot to the floor, the 3-5 shift goes completely flat. Feels like someone cut the power completely, then it sort of sorts itself out and keeps going. But when that happens, a lot of the time, when I come to a stop, the trans is stuck in 5th. I have to put it in park for it to go back into 1st. Then after that it might shift funky (shifts directly from 1 to 3, then gets stuck in 5th again), then it goes back to normal and the issue doesn't reappear unless I go foot to the floor 3 to 5 shift. FWIW, I do have the Gogo solenoid installed, fresh Motorcraft fluid, and a fresh Motorcraft filter. Truck has 69k on it, bone stock until 64k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM

You need to upgrade the direct clutch solenoid.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM

The 5R110 TorqShift transmission is one of the most robust transmissions ever offered in a medium duty pickup. It does however have a weakness. The 5R110 transmission is controlled through the use of solenoids to turn on and off gears. A gear is commanded by the computer and a solenoid applies fluid directly to that clutch. In stock power applications the stock solenoid is fine. Outside of that range, the factory piece cannot provide enough fluid to the clutch fast enough to get the clutches together in a short enough time. Long term slipping of the clutch leads to failure. Direct clutch is not only used for 5th gear in the transmission, but it is also used when in reverse as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM

I already have the GoGo solenoid installed, I'm installing a low mile 5R110 out of a wrecked truck next week...
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Question, my truck falls hard on her face very similar. Trans fluid doesn't seem burnt but the h&s defuels for trans temp whenever I'm towing in city conditions, reaches about 180. I tow about 6k in the tow setting with tow/haul. Also reaches 180 after about 2 hard passes through the gears in performance. Had trans rebuilt with billet trip disk converter, all new stock solenoids, shift kit, and all red eagle clutches in December. The only slipping I notice seems to be in the 2-3 shift. Will the gogo solenoid help? Are these temps normal? Any help is greatly appreciated, can't afford another trans failure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Probably burned your motor up running IDP's Xtreme Street Tune (approximately +300rwhp).

I guess we will see in a few months...
Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 PM

Did the new trams fix your problem?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipka101 View Post
Did the new trams fix your problem?
I never ended up installing the new trans, I still have it sitting in my shop. The shifting never got worse, I just learned how to drive it. If you have your foot to the floor the trans shifts great, but for some reason on the 3-5 shift if you're at like 1/2 throttle or more, it does something very strange, kinda like missing a gear or something. But at WOT it hits the gear perfect. My buddy who also has the IDP Xtreme X tune has the exact same issue with his trans. So at this point I'm not sure if it's a trans issue or tuning issue.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Yeah mine does it at wot. Used to do it worse. Like cut out for a few seconds but now it's like a slight hesitation. Do you have their newest tunes? I'm thinking of updating to the 3.03 and see if there's a difference.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipka101 View Post
Yeah mine does it at wot. Used to do it worse. Like cut out for a few seconds but now it's like a slight hesitation. Do you have their newest tunes? I'm thinking of updating to the 3.03 and see if there's a difference.
I bought my tune from them in November of 2012 and I know I sent in my 9025OR to them so they could do the software update, but I'm not 100% sure if it's 3.03?

Cutting out--that's a 100% perfect description of what the truck does. If I'm between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle on the 3-5 shift, the truck will literally "cut out" and then it figures itself out and keeps going. If my foot is to the floor, the shifts are fine. I've just learned the perfect throttle position for the 3-5 shift (non WOT) where the truck will shift and not cut out. But it's extremely annoying. I figured I was looking at getting a built trans, but because my only issue is the part throttle 3-5 shift, I can't justify a built trans... and to be honest I'm not 100% sure it's actually the trans. My truck was bone stock 60,000 miles when I put the dpf delete/ S&B/ IDP tune and the "cutting out" weirdness was happening since the first day I loaded the tune. My buddy was so impressed with how hard my truck ran that he had me order him all the same stuff. We loaded all of it on his truck (76,000 miles) and it cuts out the exact same way. Sometimes when it cuts out and you come to a stop, the trans is actually stuck in 5th. I'd love to figure this problem out............ Eric@ IDP any ideas??

My fluid looks great, not burned, no clutch material in the pan or on the magnet... and yes I have the Go-Go solenoid installed. The Go-Go solenoid didn't make any difference in the "cutting out" one way or another...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.