6.4 weak 3rd gear / xrt pro - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 weak 3rd gear / xrt pro

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Last edited by liesel; 04-04-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel View Post
2008 6.4L; 36k miles; tuned with xrt pro, s&b, dpf/doc delete pipe for the past 12k miles or 1 year

anybody else have this experience. feels the same now as it did stock: 3rd and 4th gears feel like a dog until 4th + tc lock on s1M or s1L. Not as bad on default hot +250; more noticeable on mild +80; most noticeable when stock a year ago.

but why does this thing feel awesome in 1st and 2nd, weak in 3rd and 4th, and then back awesome again at 4th + tc lock and 5th? when it hits 3rd it feels like a lot of stuff's happening under the hood--it clatters loud like it's just kicking butt, but it doesn't translate into more power at the wheels. no smoke, no codes--just feels cheesy. i can't wait until it hits 4th + tc lock, because it feels like it should--lots of smooth, quick power when I push the accelerator.

haven't found any related posts. most comments are by the diesel guru guys. i'm just a regular guy whose level of involvement entails dpf delete, tuning, air box install, own oil and fuel filters changes, and putting diesel kleen in at fill-up.

i can tell you that on +250 s1L i can get 19.2 mpg IF i keep it under 68 mph (about 1850 rpms) with 3.73 rear end. it took me a while to figure that one out.

about to take the 5000# rv, wife, and 4 kids on a trip just in time for rising fuel prices, no doubt, and want to know what's the best xrt pro settings. as of now i plan to use +80 / s1M. pretty sure i'll be giving up some mpg's i normally get on the +250, but don't want to sh**wreck the truck to gain a couple of mpg's. any advice?

thanks...i would know even less than i do now about diesels without this forum.

i was just reading old trans post...when i read yours....

have you solved the 3rd to 4th problem????

i was having a HARD 3rd to 4th shift in S1L & S2L

my trans fluid was a little low...so i added 1 qt of of the Motorcraft LV
3rd to 4th got firmer ...i checked the trans dipstick after running he truck...i was in the HOT range...but there was an 1/8th of an inch available to still add fluid...so I did.. and the 3rd to 4th shift got even better (softer and firmer)

my MPG's are rotten in S2L...but I'm not a fan of the 4th gear TCLockup
I got good MPG's in S1L...but again that 4thgear TCLock was not for me.

I have 38K on my 2010 and I run a Mini Maxx on the "HOT" power setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.