Hard to get in gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard to get in gear

I know not many of you have a manual tranny but I need some help.

Truck has 20k on it, it's always been a real pain to get into 1st gear (not low). Sometimes I really have to jam it in. It goes in real easy if I'm still rolling, but from a stop it's like I don't even have a clutch. Wondered if anybody else is having this problem. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. I'm not familiar with the clutch system they use on these trucks but try bleeding the system or look for a clutch adjustment.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

sounds to me like you're into a clutch not fully releasing, also.

What are you like temperature wise there? There's a TSB regarding this, but it's generally for colder temperatures. Involves switching the fluid in the trans from the synthetic goop that it comes with from the factory, to Mercon V auto trans fluid.

Don't see many stick shift trucks in my area so I can't verify if this fixes the problem or not, but it's worth a try for the cost of the oil.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hard shifting

I have the same problem with my 08 psd. We had some very cold temps down here in florida recently and shifting into first became a real problem. I called ford and they said put some more miles on it and it will be fine, I only have 3k miles on it currently. If you here of a fix pass it on.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

I'm planning on taking mine into the dealer to have them look at it. It seems like mine is getting worse. I towed some horses 5 hours yesterday and when I would come to a stop it was extra hard getting into 1st or Low. Mine's got 23,000 miles on it so I'd imagine it's broken in by now, as far as the tranny goes anyway.

Big Angry Hillbilly:
Do you have a TSB number for it? That'd probably save em some time. I've searched all the TSBs I could find and didn't come up with it. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Re: Hard to get in gear

I also have this poblem with my 2010 PSD, I have the manual trans and getting into first or granny from a stop can be a real pain. I have 8500 miles and have had the truck since January.

I thought that it was just a ford thing because my 2007 F150 manual transmission is the same way, although the F150 didn't start doing it till the tuck 45,000 miles on it.

Jon
Clarendon, TX
2010 F-250 6.4L 4X4 CC SWB
Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

I just dropped mine off at the dealer to have them look at it as well as fix my death wobble problem. I'll let you guys know what they say, if anything.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same problem with mine too! 2010 F350 6.4 6 speed with 5k miles. L and 1 are a pain. Even 6 is a little rough sometimes also. It's far worse until it warms up. I took it in and the dealer said they're all like that. I'm pretty sure the clutch fully disengages, but didn't think to ask the dealer to check it. Please let us know what you found out, mor4wd, and it there's any TSB on it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Nomadic1: There's no TSB, not that I could find anyway. The dealer looked at it, drove it and called me back and said there's nothing wrong with, "that's just the way they are". One of the techs did tell me that switching to Amsoil could help. I don't know if it was just a sales pitch or not seeing as he sells it. I'll live with it for now. I've got 28,000 on her now and it seems to be getting slightly better.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That's B.S. that is a problem and they need to fix it. Try bleeding your master and slave. It's a two person job unless you get some speed bleeders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.