'08 Tranny Overheating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08 Tranny Overheating

2008 F-250 losing power when towing 6000# trailer. Loses power like tranny is slipping but RPM's don't go up. Doesn't throw any codes. Has been to the dealer numerous times and they can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There are some extremely smart diesel techs on this forum that I'm sure would be more than willing to give you some advice but unfortunately you didn't leave alot of details on the problem.

Is your transmission temp gauge moving at all while towing? Also, have you verified your transmission fluid is at the correct level?

I don't have alot to go off of, but with your symptoms; mainly the lack of power with no increase in RPM's, it may be a good idea to get your EGR valve pulled and checked. I've seen EGR Valves start to go south and not throw any check engine light until it was so bad that you couldn't exceed 15mph. Also towing 6000 lbs. while the EGR Valve is acting up with definetly amplify the symptoms of "lack of power".

As of right now with the 6.4L diesel you statistically have a much higher chance of having a bad EGR valve rather than a failing transmission. Hope this helps, and any further details you can relay might be able to help rule out some things.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My apologies for lack of details. I tow a 6000# work trailer through the mountains of Southern WV drilling natural gas wells. After about 10-15 miles of towing up and down the mountains the truck loses power as if the tranny were slipping, and will barely pull the trailer at 5 mph. When I pull over I hear "pinging" noises from underneath indicating that something is overheating.I can barely get my hand near the tranny cooler it is so hot. The coolant gauge and oil temp are in normal range. It also makes a noise like the fan is spinning faster than normal. After cool down, it will repeat the same behavior. Tranny fluid is topped of and does not smell burnt. Does not throw any codes and the dealer cannot determine a cause. BTW I do not have a tranny temp gauge.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Are you using Tow/haul mode?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I take it you have the manual transmission then since you have an oil pressure gauge instead of the transmission temp? Also, how many miles are on your truck. Has the dealership changed out any parts yet in an attempt to fix the problem?

Are you seeing any kind of "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" messages or noticing when your truck goes into regen? Turning the truck off in the middle of a regen can make a pinging noise from your exhaust.

Whats the average temperature in your area when your towing? Towing a trailer through the mountains (especially during a regen) can cause the motor to raise the fan speed.

After driving for 15 minutes how hot is the return line coming off of the transmission cooler?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke Techie

PM me.

Include your VIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.