Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Transmission leaking

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  4506dave 
#1 ·
Im making my way from Las Vegas to Vancouver BC and noticed a leak under the truck, got the flashlight out and its the tranny. The under side of the truck is pretty wet. I made it to Boise Idaho. Now the question what the hell do I do, the truck has mods listed in sig. and all my stock parts are 2500 miles away. Do I return the truck to stock programming wise or leave it and bring it in, I just loaded the stock no dpf file back into it i was using the 250 file. what should i do?????

#2 ·
You need to get a good idea of exactly where it is leaking from and how fast it is losing fluid. If it is coming from the front of the transmission ... it might actually be from the drain for the engine valley...which could either be coming from the rear main seal of the engine (unlikely, this part doesn't usually fail) or you could have a High-Pressure oil leak (more likely). Once again determine where the leak is coming from exactly and how fast it is losing fluid. You can make it home if you can add oil faster than you lose it.

Just check your fluid levels for both engine and transmission. Top off whichever seems to have lost fluid. Drive some distance and check the levels again. Once you get an idea of how fast it is losing fluid then stop periodically to add more fluid as you get yourself home.

A disclaimer ... this is not the environmentally sound answer. If you are simply pouring fluid out just get a tow. Once again, if you can maintain fluid level it doesn't matter to the transmission or engine if it is leaking.

#3 ·
There's no high pressure oil system on a 6.4

I think you're kinda up sht creek - check in the "mod friendly dealers" thread - but for the most part, unless the tuner DIRECTLY caused the trans failure - your warranty should be okay, unless you get a dink dealership that terminates your warranty just because the federal emissions equipment is removed.

How much oil is leaking out? How badly?

#4 ·
Yeah, I realized which forum I was posting into after I posted... didn't feel the need to correct myself because my point was ... you can get the thing home if you can maintain the oil level no matter where it's coming from. That's just an idea universal to all machinery.

#5 ·
So what ever happened to your truck?

#6 ·
turned out that the extra half liter that everyone recommended putting in was getting pushed out the crosshatch on the filler tube. Thats what ford said anyways. I stopped in Boise after noticing this and before I let them touch the truck I told them it had no DPF and after after market air intake, with a tuner. The first thing this guy said was "NO WARRANTY" so I got 2 litres of tranny fluid and left. Was still leaking in Washington state so i stopped at a dealer there told him what I had done, mod wise, and the first words out of his mouth were "Whats your Milage" he was very understanding and helpful told me the problem, charged me nothing and I went on my way. He was just glad I told him of what I had done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.