funny shift from 2 to 3rd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
funny shift from 2 to 3rd

In the morning when i get in my truck i leave the driveway and the 1 to 2nd shift is perfect then 2-3 it feels like its trying to start to shift then after half a second goes into gear with a slight clunk. You hear the clunk more than you feel it though. As you drive the truck this issues almost completely goes away but you can still barely tell something is a little different from changing 2nd to 3rd gear. My truck has always done this some just seems a little worse now. If i go back to stock it still has this issue. Anyone else seen this issue or know how to fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Batavia, Ohio
Posts: 2,597
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
Sounds like your torque converter may be going bad. That's what mine was doing while it was shreading my tranny. But may be different since you got a 6.4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern DE
Posts: 542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifts will be different on a cold transmission. On mine, almost more abrupt until it warms up a little. Also, and I don't remember the details, but the 2-3 shift is different than 1-2. Something to do with it being a more complicated action within the transmission. Have you checked your fluid levels recently? Levels that are slightly off can cause odd shifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm having a similar problem at WOT it sort of hesitates when i think its supposed to shift (3300 rpm) then shifts at around 3700 rpm which seems pretty high to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Del Rio, Texas
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth1 View Post
In the morning when i get in my truck i leave the driveway and the 1 to 2nd shift is perfect then 2-3 it feels like its trying to start to shift then after half a second goes into gear with a slight clunk. You hear the clunk more than you feel it though. As you drive the truck this issues almost completely goes away but you can still barely tell something is a little different from changing 2nd to 3rd gear. My truck has always done this some just seems a little worse now. If i go back to stock it still has this issue. Anyone else seen this issue or know how to fix it?
I have a stock 2009 F-250 and mine does the same thing, it disappears just like yours too aftter it gets warm. I have a buddy that is a Ford salesman that sold me the truck. One of these mornings when we take off to go fishing or hunting I will ask him what that maybe or if he has heard of this problem before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by border bandit32 View Post
I have a stock 2009 F-250 and mine does the same thing, it disappears just like yours too aftter it gets warm. I have a buddy that is a Ford salesman that sold me the truck. One of these mornings when we take off to go fishing or hunting I will ask him what that maybe or if he has heard of this problem before.


I actually have 22K on my truck now and at one point thought it might have gotten a little worse but now i don't think it has. The reason i'm saying this is last week i went back to the stock tune and it was a little better. I believe with Spartan its just a tad more noticable on the first shift of the morning then you don't notice it anymore. Its so light even then that passangers never pick up on it. So think its not an issue now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
*

I have a stock 2010 F-250 6.4L CC SWB SRW 4x4. As stated in the title of the thread, I'm hearing and feeling a slight knock/slap when the truck shifts from 2nd to 3rd. It only does it at 1500-1600 RPM and 20-21 mph. Under accelerations greater than about 1600 RPM it DOES NOT make this knock. It reminds me of the sound and feel of a locker locking going around a turn. I made an appointment to take it in on Monday, but just wanted to see what y'all think. Oh yeah, the truck has 3.55's and 8200 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5_Guy View Post
*

I have a stock 2010 F-250 6.4L CC SWB SRW 4x4. As stated in the title of the thread, I'm hearing and feeling a slight knock/slap when the truck shifts from 2nd to 3rd. It only does it at 1500-1600 RPM and 20-21 mph. Under accelerations greater than about 1600 RPM it DOES NOT make this knock. It reminds me of the sound and feel of a locker locking going around a turn. I made an appointment to take it in on Monday, but just wanted to see what y'all think. Oh yeah, the truck has 3.55's and 8200 miles.

How did this come out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The shop foreman told me that it was normal. He said it had something to do with the clutches. I don't know if I totally believe him, but it seems like it might just be the way the truck operates. He let me drive a brand new '10 around the lot and it did the same thing. I'm not too concerned about it anymore....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5_Guy View Post
The shop foreman told me that it was normal. He said it had something to do with the clutches. I don't know if I totally believe him, but it seems like it might just be the way the truck operates. He let me drive a brand new '10 around the lot and it did the same thing. I'm not too concerned about it anymore....

Man thats crazy. I would have not thought it was normal but i you drove another new one and its the same then he must be right. Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors