Sunroof switch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sunroof switch

Can anyone tell or show me how to remove the lights and sunroof switch? I went to close the sunroof the other day and the switch pushed thru. I tried to remove the light housing and it started to break. Any help would be great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Figured it out. That was way to hard to remove and the plastic is too easy to break. Does the black plastic inside the headliner mount to anything? It's just loose inside the headliner. Now..... Any suggestions on how to get the switch to stay in the housing since all the plastic clips broke? Don't want to spend $200 for a new one.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy Sunroof Switch Mount

I have the same problem. The small sunroof switch mount plastic side plates that screws to the console...the side plates have broken off which prevents the switch from being held in place. Ford and aftermarket parts are for the whole assembly at $235. All I need is the small sunroof switch housing that screws to the O/H assembly with two screws. Any idea where I could find a new one (outside of a used one at at boneyard which may experience the same brittle condition as my '08...don't know why a white color exterior with camel interior would get hot enough to cause the plastic to get brittle, but that's the way it seems.

spud1223
2008 F350 CC King Ranch
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM

I came up with a fix. It was hard to take pics of it but I will show you what I did. I added two plastic shims. The switch has a lip on each of the shorter ends that you can put shims on top of. Then the shims will actually hold the switch down once you install the white plastic assembly. I can get you the thickness of the shims but I did not measure the width or the length I cut them. You want the shims cut a little narrower that the short side of the switch. The length of the shim can be determined by placing the shim on the ledge of the switch and cutting it about 1/16" longer than the switch height. Hope this all makes since once you start looking at your pieces. Let me know if you need more info. The first pic shows the ledge on the switch.
Sunroof switch-imageuploadedbyag-free1393266949.212808.jpg
Sunroof switch-imageuploadedbyag-free1393266825.286980.jpg
Sunroof switch-imageuploadedbyag-free1393266863.271484.jpg
Sunroof switch-imageuploadedbyag-free1393266882.257171.jpg
Sunroof switch-imageuploadedbyag-free1393266899.920562.jpg

Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Sunroof switch

This way has worked for a few days for me. It seems it should last longer than the factory cheap plastic since it is taking the stress off the tan plastic. All the stress is now on the ledge of the switch and the thick white plastic housing.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Joshua, I will give this a try. Beats trying to find a firm piece of styrofoam to place between the top of the switch and the white plastic housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.