Factory sub box? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory sub box?

I have the factory subwoofer box in my '08 CC and was wondering what size sub it is (Cant figure out how how to lay seat down so I can see it) and if it is a 10" woofer would it be worth sticking my JL Audio W3 10" in the factory box?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I beleive its an 8inch woofer.
As for laying the seats down thats strange..... are you saying it wont lay down or you dont know how to lay it down.
make sure the seat portion is down in ready to sit position, then locate the handle on the backrest and slide it forward towards the front of the truck or back towards the back i cant remember which and the seat back will come forward with some help.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 AM

Factory sub is an 8". Even if it did fit, your 10W3 would rip that little plastic box apart.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL2K View Post
Factory sub is an 8". Even if it did fit, your 10W3 would rip that little plastic box apart.
That's funny! Exploding boxes!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to PressureDrop Send a message via AIM to PressureDrop Send a message via Yahoo to PressureDrop
I wonder if a new box could be built to use a new sub (10"?) and the stock amp

that way it would still function with the head unit like stock, but it would have better bottom end (not as good as a new amp, subs, etc - but no wiring!).
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is kinda where I was going with this!!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM

don't know if you figured it out yet but there are two levers on the side of the seat. one on the bottom that allows the bottom to flip up and the second one hides behind the seatbelt on the side of the back rest portion. i never looked at mine close enough to see what size so i believe the others that it is an 8. as for the box, i have seen aftermarket boxes for bigger sizes. when i find it or remember wher i saw it i'll let you know. i doubt the factory amp is large enough to push a larger speaker and get any more out of it than you are getting with your stock setup.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to PressureDrop Send a message via AIM to PressureDrop Send a message via Yahoo to PressureDrop
5watts going to an 8" vs. 5watts going to a 10" - the 10" is going to be deeper.

Is it going to beat a 10" driven by a Hifonics MAXXIMUS? No (duh!).
Is it going to beat an equally powered 8" Yes.

As long as the 8" and the 10" have similar specs, the 10" is going to go win with everything else being equal. It moves more air (due to its surface area) than the 8" does.

In my perfect world - nothing in the audio system would be OEM. It would all be aftermarket and every set of drivers would have its own amp.
In my real world - the OEM is fine except for the very top end (going to drop different tweeters in the pods and mids in the doors) and the very bottom end (not sure what my fix is going to be yet). I am not after tons of volume or super audiophile clarity, just better overall freq response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.