2008 6.4 Remote start questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 6.4 Remote start questions

Ive been reading a lot on here and have some questions.

1. I heard with 2008s you have to get an extra module but I got a 2010 engine so do I have to worry about anything?

2. I have heard a lot of mixed things about viper but always thought they were they best?

3. What is the most reliable remote start that not too expensive? Autopage looks good?

4. Do these after market alrams use the factory horn or do they come with a louder alarm?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM

1 yes you will have to use a antitheft module bypass that kicks on when the remote start activates it. it basically fools you computer by thinking you key is in the ignition and clones the security feature in the the key.
2 i am not a big fan of viper they are way to complicated for the average joe to put in the shop i work for i am the head installer and i hate doing vipers just because im not to familiar with them. i prefer compustar or cool start. the compustar is by far my most favorite even though they are still complicated they are an awsome remote start and i have never had unit go bad. as for a viper a customer brought one in he had tried to install and the unit was bad out of the box and best buy refused a refund.
3 you dont want to go to cheap on a remote start because it has to have a wait to start sense wire or the ability to kick the ignition and accesory wires on to get glow plugs warmed up on a diesel remember you get what you pay for and electronics are not a good thing to go cheap on.
4 most good quality alarms will come with a seperate alarm horn

also the security on these trucks are a little finiky i know on the 2010 they dont have a factory alarm disarm wire with the key if you lock it with the remote which is why if you hit the lock button on the remote wait a like 10 min and come back and unlock it with the key it will ask you to turn the ignition on. the factory remote and the keypad are the only problems with it but its not that big of a deal compustar units have an option that allows you to send a signal to the wires to disable the factory alarm if it gets set
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a Viper which I paid a professional shop to install. It's a great alarm and I haven't had any issues with it. It has a lot of features and user programmable options. It even has a turbo timer for diesels. I also have the GPS feature with it and yes, I had to have a module installed like stated above to bypass the anti-theft chip located in the key.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
I have a Viper which I paid a professional shop to install. It's a great alarm and I haven't had any issues with it. It has a lot of features and user programmable options. It even has a turbo timer for diesels. I also have the GPS feature with it and yes, I had to have a module installed like stated above to bypass the anti-theft chip located in the key.
how much was that?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 AM

probably close to a grand, correct?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 AM

I have a black widow alarm remote start that I put in myself. No other module was required. Everything came in the box for gas/diesel manual/auto install. It was straight forward once we had wiring schematics to do it. I chose to only use the siren rather than both horn and siren. It was not as difficult as I expected but hiding the wires and module was tedious! Lots of zip ties and wire loom. It also allows you to set your second delays for your glow plugs. Works like a charm!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a Viper 5704, so far so good except for cracking the screen on the remote. My only real complaint is that I have to sometimes hit the lock/unlock more than once before it receives the signal and sometimes it seems a little laggy.

Don't be fooled by the advertised range. This only applies if your parked in the desert with nothing taller than 2ft around you for miles. Mine will barely work from inside my local costco or grocery store. As with most TX/RX, if your under a metal structure your range will be greatly reduced. In most cases the range is more than acceptable.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAO View Post
how much was that?
About a grand, like the other post said. I will say though, my range on my remote is pretty good. Even if I'm inside a store or the gym, I can hit the remote start and my cold a/c is waiting for me when I get inside the truck. If it doesn't reach, I can always use the app on my phone to start it from anywhere in the world.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM

I just installed the Viper 5904 with remote start.

1) Read and find all your wiring diagrams before starting off. I purchased a month subscription to Motorcraft's service manuals. It had everything I could have ever wanted once I figured out that I needed to use Internet Explorer to view anything.
2) There are some peculiarities about the remote start that will have you puzzled. The Ignition and Accessory Polarity wires need to go to a common +12v source. This was not very explicitly defined in the manual.
3) The viper 5901 install manual will work for the 57xx or 59xx alarms. The wires are the same color, but might be in different harnesses. Googling "Viper 5901 install manual" will give you a PDF you use to assist with the install.
4) SOLDER ALL CONNECTIONS
5) Pop out all the unused wires from the connections. I used a safety pin to insert into the connectors to get these out. Kind of a pain, but makes for a clean install.
6) Cut the wires to length after you determine the mounting location of the brain. This will keep you from having to zip tie a bunch of excess wire.
7) Use shrink wrap where possible. I even popped out some of the Ford wires from their connectors to slip shrink wrap over.

I can keep going, just post any questions. I can help with wire colors and locations.

The Viper XK04 module needs to be wired into the PATS module on the steering columns. If you use D2D on the module, you only need to wire up 3 more wires. The Tx, Rx, and Ignition wires. I mounted the module in the steering column plastic under the wheel.

The install will run about $200 at Best Buy and up to $600 from a certified installer. If you think about this, no good installer can have this thing installed, soldered, and heat shrinked in two hours. Best Buy quoted me two hours. I said, screw this. For that price I can buy another Viper alarm if I screw this one up. Took me about a week working on it a little bit at a time. Once you commit to cutting the ignition wire (White/Blue) for the starter kill/remote start, the vehicle will be down until the rest of it is finished. Save the starter kill/remote start for last when you have the most time.

Notes:
-You cannot shut off your courtesy lighting/stereo (that turns off when the truck is off and door is opened) without pulsing the door triggers. Hook a +12 pulse when armed to one of the door trigger wires.
-Don't use Domelight for the trigger. Grab the four door trigger wires at the SJB. If you use the domelight, the alarm will indicate a door open when you arm it since the domelight stays on for a little while. Also, if you touch the dome light buttons on the door keypad, it will set off the alarm. These were the biggest pain in the butt wires to get since they are up under the pass dash at the top of the SJB.
-The violet/white brake wire (to shut off remote start if key is not inserted) must be grabbed at the brake switch connecter on the brake pedal. There are about 10 other violet/white wires all over the dash and driver's side sill (by driver's seat). There are even more if you count the violet/gray wires that look exactly the same in certain lighting.
-Diode isolate door triggers.
-Diode isolate all grouped wires
-To have driver door priority unlock if you have remote keyless entry already, you must pickup these wires at the SJB (pass junction box) or install relays.
-Buy the handheld bitwriter programmer. It's about $60 on Amazon, but you can really tune the system better than with the push button/chirp method.
-You don't need a tach wire for the remote start. The 2008-2010's have over crank protection. Just disable the tach feature in the alarm and set the crank time to about 0.6-1.0 seconds. More maybe in the winter if needed.
-Lastly, you cannot hook the Viper's up to your door keypad to disable when you type in the code. Viper has no wire to disarm the alarm. You can only use the remotes. Some alarms have a disarm wire that can be used with a relay to disarm when you type in your keypad code.

Good luck!

Last edited by Expirobo; 07-25-2013 at 09:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Expirobo For This Useful Post:
jerrmy (12-30-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 AM

I got free access to audiovox installer schematics on their website.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alarm, autopage, remote, start, viper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.