Added LED light strips inside AC vents! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Added LED light strips inside AC vents!

Ok maybe I'm the only one who digs this, but I installed blue LED light strips in my 2008 F250 Ac vents in the center panel. The panel pulls right off after removing just two bolts and the AC vents pop out the back of the panel easily and come apart so you can get into them. run the wire through the honeycomb plastic in back of the vent and run it down through any obvious gap into the driver footwell. Tap into the purple wire in the driver side channel in the floor and ground the ground wire to a section of bare unpainted metal under the seat and the lights go on when you open the door. Awesome. I put white LED strips in the footwells which also come on with the door or the fob and pulled out the dome bulb cuz i hate it. Nice calm lighting and super cool! Here's a pic. Next week I'm going to add green underbody LEDs that glow on the ground also when the door unlocks or opens or when i take the key out of the ignition, all from the same purple wire under the plastic door sill cover (it just pulls up). These come on when the door opens, or when the fob is used, or when the key is removed from the ignition, they are not on while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Added LED light strips inside AC vents!-img_2246.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I like the idea of the white floor/foot well LEDs. Definitely looks like a cool project.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks pretty cool.

I'd run the lights off of a relay though, you don't know how many amps that purple wire can carry.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM

any pics of the floor?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well these are LED strips so they use no power at all, no problem for the courtesy light circuit. Now I have added two green strips under the truck in protective clear plastic tubing as underbody lighting. Okay, I'm done, no more LEDs, lol. I do have aftermarket fog lamps on the way for the empty spots in the front bumper but they are a direct oem fit so should be easy (famous last words). I will try to get a photo of the footwell lights but it's hard to capture those. I hid them up under so they shine into the footwells without you actually seeing the lights themselves, looks terrific.
Attached Thumbnails
Added LED light strips inside AC vents!-truckunderbodylites9-18-12.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

im just curious how they footwells look lit up. Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's hard to get a pic of the footwell lights but I will try
Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do those blue lights in the vents stay on when your dash lights are lit up? Do they ever bother your eyes during night driving?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootizm View Post
Ok maybe I'm the only one who digs this, but I installed blue LED light strips in my 2008 F250 Ac vents in the center panel. The panel pulls right off after removing just two bolts and the AC vents pop out the back of the panel easily and come apart so you can get into them. run the wire through the honeycomb plastic in back of the vent and run it down through any obvious gap into the driver footwell. Tap into the purple wire in the driver side channel in the floor and ground the ground wire to a section of bare unpainted metal under the seat and the lights go on when you open the door. Awesome. I put white LED strips in the footwells which also come on with the door or the fob and pulled out the dome bulb cuz i hate it. Nice calm lighting and super cool! Here's a pic. Next week I'm going to add green underbody LEDs that glow on the ground also when the door unlocks or opens or when i take the key out of the ignition, all from the same purple wire under the plastic door sill cover (it just pulls up). These come on when the door opens, or when the fob is used, or when the key is removed from the ignition, they are not on while driving.
that's a cool idea and looks great. Just wondered if you could be more specific on how to get the front panel off and which 2 bolts you were referring to? I need ot take mine off. thanks -JRB
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM

use a screwdriver and on the bottom of the cigarette lighter is a little notch to put the screwdriver in and just pop it out. There is a screw behind there. Then where the auxilary input is on the other side is a little notch to just pop off and there is a screw behind there. Then just use the screw driver to pop off the sides of the entire bezel and you'll have your dash off pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.