Dual Climate Control Malfunction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Dual Climate Control Malfunction

2008 F-250 CC Lariat. Dual climate control has decided the passenger side needs to be run 10F hotter than the driver's side. Doesn't matter if its in dual mode or not. In dual mode 75F on the driver's side produces air from the driver's center vent at the same temperature as 66F set for the passenger side and passenger center vent. The passenger side is adding heat.

Web surfing I found mention of replacing an actuator with caution not to do it unless the ignition key is in the OFF position else it would be out of calibration and not in proper position. Am curious whether over the years (and whopping 25k miles) this actuator (or something similar) might have worked its way out of proper position?

Maybe the problem is that the hot water valve for the passenger side is not closing? If there is a separate hot water valve... The thing is I don't believe hot water should be circulating in the heater core in the first place under these conditions unless the electronics are confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 AM

This happened to my F 350 and the dealer had to replace the damper control unit (?) and door.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks! I'll look into it, but a dealer fix isn't going to happen before this weekend's trip. Am already in full time preparation mode!

What I'd really like to hear is that a connector or hose fell off which I can replace quicker than a drive to the dealer.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Mine is doing it except the passenger side is 10 degrees hotter than the driver side. I have to put the passenger side at 68 to get it to blow cold air sometimes. I can have both set at 72 and after a while the pass. side blow warm air.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Thats exactly what mine is doing, intermittent. Seems to work sometimes. Then passenger side blows hot. And with more experience with it now I think the system has a hard time regulating the driver's side as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 AM

It's the blend door motor. You can hear it start "clicking and tapping" & one side will go a lot hotter than the other. A lot of people I know have the issue, ford wants around the 600-800 to fix it. You have to pull the dash out to get to it, FYI. I posted the exact same issue a while back without much luck on finding a easy fix for it. I did read about one guy on here that did the fix without removing the dash and only removing the radio area but that thread kinda fizzled out and didn't have any step by step or pictures.

Link to my thread: Blend door actuator (blowing hot air)
Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Went in this week and sure enough they replaced the passenger blending door and/or motor. Didn't provide a written write up. I didn't push for one.

While it was in they updated ECU firmware. On 10 mile drive home I noticed the engine seems to run at 2,000 RPM more than in the past, yet doesn't sound like its running that fast.

Then icing on the cake, they said my Continental tires were subject to recall. Have received several letters but thought my tires were out of the listed range. Anyway, they put 5 new tires on my truck for free!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt2317 View Post
It's the blend door motor. You can hear it start "clicking and tapping" & one side will go a lot hotter than the other. A lot of people I know have the issue, ford wants around the 600-800 to fix it. You have to pull the dash out to get to it, FYI. I posted the exact same issue a while back without much luck on finding a easy fix for it. I did read about one guy on here that did the fix without removing the dash and only removing the radio area but that thread kinda fizzled out and didn't have any step by step or pictures.

Link to my thread: Blend door actuator (blowing hot air)
I had the same deal, same symptoms and it was the blend-door actuator. The noise it made drove me more nuts than the potential "cold front" caused between the hot and cold air masses in the cabin.

Anyway, the delaer had my truck for a whole month and after replacnig the actuators 5 times, it is finally fixed and working fine.

I spoke to the mechanic and he told me Ford kept sending him Mexican made actuators and when he finally received an American made one - problem solved.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:37 PM

I finallly took mine in. They replaced the passenger side blend door motor. It was under warranty.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Am of the opinion that there was a batch of bad blender doors as it seems to be one of the most common Super Duty repairs around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.