DIY: CB Radio Overhead Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY: CB Radio Overhead Install

So here is all I could make for you. Sorry for the cell phone pics, I'll get better end results later with the camera. For the NON sunroof people out there, here you go if you want your CB mounted nicea nd tucked up out of the way. I am SO happy I didn't get a sunroof for the first time in 3 vehicles.

1- Yank out overhead storage/sunglass holder thing. Only 4 push clips so a little yank and its out.

2- Take out the 3 screws that hold the sun visors on for both sides passanger and driver. Headliner will have room to drop some and let you get your hands up in.

3- Yank the same way for the mount of the overhead console, so it comes down off roof. Then you can twist and pull liner down to get it out the front since its to big to go threw hole in headliner.

4- Scrap metal. After some drinkng and bending of what little scrap I had we had to just start fixing it by cutting and welding. I made this first piece perfect. Then my buddy jumped in and it went downhill fast. But I made the last kink at the end because it needed to drop down more of the face of CB would be upward to high. So after cutting a piece 13" long and a bed 1" each end until it met surface. Throw it in the drill press to make holes. I would suggest a wider more stable piece of metal. Our idea changed from 2 supports, to just one. Which I felt it would wobble left to right so we welded the two of them together to make a super support.

5- Self tapper screws into the cross members of the roof. Make sure there not long enough to actually go threw roof! After some more measureing we welded the CB mount on the bracket itself instead of more nuts and bolts. I could just about do a pull up on the cb now haha.

6- Mount up CB and tuck all wires out of way. I ran the power right downt he driver pillar, down to floor and out the firewall straight to battery. Be sure you use an inline fuse! I just got a new toolbox so antenna mount is pissing me off. I may just go back to the 6 ft wire roof mount. Keep er classy ya know!

Take a look. All I have to do now is make a beauty board which will be easy. Pick up some black cloth fabric and should be another night till that is done. Should look real nice when done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Very nice job
Old 08-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to 06KingRanch6.0L Send a message via Yahoo to 06KingRanch6.0L
i wanna do that but i have a smaller CB that would fit the the end of the storage holder i just can't get the dam thing off the roof any pic would help!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to CamTom12
Looks great! Any updates?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 AM

Actually yes but the pics I took r on my old phone so I have to get new. Weather Is horrible so when I get some light and no rain ill post.

I got board with some spare diamond plate and a plasma cutter haha.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 AM

thats niice.....
Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 AM

Few update pics w/ the phone sorry if they suck. Need to detail up the truck and get a real order of photos

Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to CamTom12
Looks great!

I've got a Magnum 257HP on order, but I think I'm going to try and mount it in the cubby. It'll take some modifying but not too much as that's a small frame radio.

I really like your execution though!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:41 AM

that diamond plate trim really makes the whole install look great. nice job.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Looks great im not a huge diamond plate fan but carpeting that plate in something resembling teh roof would look nearly factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.