I drive 55 miles an hour on the highways like a granny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I drive 55 miles an hour on the highways like a granny

with the 4.30 tow boss gearing, I am at 2,000rpm at 60mph, which is inefficient for my mpg. Driving today for 2 hours at about 55mph (on a 70mph highway) my mpg computer said 20.5. If I drive 60mph, it plummets to 13.5 mph. The acceleration is very nice in town but I drive highway mostly. I tow a car trailer here and there so I do not really need max. towing capacity.

anyways I was thinking of:

1. getting the lowest numerical gears in the diffs, 3.55 or even lower
2. getting large tires (maybe 38s) to reduce gearing ratio to the road (also a lift would be needed)
3. spartan tune, filter, full exhaust
4. change trans,diff,oil to synthetics
5. see if suncoast can make a 6spd transmission that can also take the abuse of spartan
6. add wastegates to regulate boost on the highway, I always try to be at 5psi or less, but sometimes it will be at 10psi even driving 60mph.
7. overdrive add on for the rearend
8. let people tell me why did I get a 4.30 geared psd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Pretty much your telling me you should of bought a toyota prius... If you put below 3.55 gears on your truck good luck towing! The idea is not to get the LOWEST RPM... that doesnt equate into better MPG, what equates into better MPG is to find the gear/ tire ratio that puts your engine in its most efficient rpm range.

Last edited by 2008TTCC; 12-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM

I think Toyota would be very surprised to learn Honda makes a Prius. Then again, the Honda Insight looks an awful lot like a small Toyota Prius.

I park a Toyota Prius beside my Super Duty. Can drive the Prius 5 days for the same fuel cost as the truck. OTOH the Prius can not haul 4 guys, 4 dirtbikes, and a place for all of us to sleep. Not even four Prii could do that.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008TTCC View Post
Pretty much your telling me you should of bought a honda prius... If you put below 3.55 gears on your truck good luck towing! The idea is not to get the LOWEST RPM... that doesnt equate into better MPG, what equates into better MPG is to find the gear/ tire ratio that puts your engine in its most efficient rpm range.
check my # 8
Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0USE View Post
check my # 8
i really like how you added that to your list #8 i had to go back up and read it again lol
Old 12-18-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0USE View Post
check my # 8
I never questioned WHY you got 4.30 gears bud.

What I am questioning is your reasoning behind getting lower gears than 3.55 and then put 38's on top of them... your acceleration would be terrible, hauling anything would be terrible...

If you know what you doing dont post questions... Cause you seem to know nothing about these trucks from the questions I have read from you.

Plus you know so much you made this post in an INTERIOR discussion board... pretty sure this is drive train or tuner related. So have fun trying to make your 8k pound truck into a TOYOTA Prius.

Last edited by 2008TTCC; 12-18-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 AM

my lie-0-meter tells me i get 26.5-27 mpg on level interstate at 65mph with cruise set. it also tells my that I average about 24.5-25mpg daily driving. I have stock trans, stock rear end(don't know what gears, but I think 3.73), stock motor, and stock turbo(ok, i put in a WW) Other mods are in sig.

oh, stock tire size too - 265/75/16

I hand calq'd it once to about 22.5 avg daily driving, which is about 50/50 highway and city.

I have a long trip up to NYC from Atlanta on Christmas day so I'll run the numbers then and compare hand calq'd to the computer and post again.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 AM
I don't know nuttin....

change gears to 4:11 (what I have) and then your 2000 rpms will dial in at 63 mph. I drive 65 and still get 20 mpg on the overhead.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:46 AM

My gears put me at just over 70mph at 2k rpm
Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
change gears to 4:11 (what I have) and then your 2000 rpms will dial in at 63 mph. I drive 65 and still get 20 mpg on the overhead.
Surely you don't mean 4:11? Four divided by eleven? Perhaps 4.10:1 or 4.11:1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.