Mysterious dash noise in truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mysterious dash noise in truck.

Ok, so I have a noise coming from the dash. It is a 'not really loud' but I can hear it, popping, clicking, hard to describe noise from behind and the to left of the AC control and next to (right of somewhat) and below the glove box. Only does it when truck is running, turning off AC does not stop it. I will drive for a while and then stop at a light, stop sign, etc and it will start doing it. When I turn the truck off it stops.

Moving AC vents to defrost, turning off AC only running fan, heater etc does not stop it. It will make the noise with the truck idling and or while driving.

I 'think' it might have something to do with the heater core but that is a wild guess.

ANY IDEAS? It is not one of those I HAVE TO GET FIXED NOW, but it is annoying and would like to eventually get it looked at and repaired if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My dads truck does the same thing he took it to ford and they replaced something in the dash but it didnt help. But its annoying the $hit out of him.. lol
Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Well that is nice to know. I think I am going to have to take it in and have it looked at eventually but I would really like to find out what the heck it is so that they can at least narrow down the search before they tear it apart. I know in my last truck (GMC) they tore the dash apart and the truck was never the same afterward. So I want to make sure they know why they are tearing it apart. Thanks..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Loose body rivet

I have the same thing and thought it was the suspension. The ford dealership put "chassis ears" on the truck and traced it to a loose rivet or something like that. It was somewhere on the firewall and they said they would have to lift the cab and take forever to find it and fix it. It wasn't covered under warranty due to the fact that I have 80000 miles on the truck so they aren't going to fix it unless I pay. It only rubs and rattles when Im on a bumpy road so I just forget about it. Maybe someday I'll get it taken care of.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Well mine is at idle or in motion and only when the truck is running. Not related to AC/Heater that I can see as of now. Going to dig in this weekend when I get time and see if I can pin point it. My truck only has 13K miles so not worried about warranty and I have extended plan so covered there too.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM

sounds like one of the center A/C vents, I had the same issue I had to take the center dash bezel around the radio and A/C controls off and adjust the vent tubes. they vibrate under certain rpms causeing that noise or at least it was the issue with mine.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 PM

mine does it too but only at idle sounds like there is a freakin squirrel runnin around back there haha
Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDSAILOR View Post
sounds like one of the center A/C vents, I had the same issue I had to take the center dash bezel around the radio and A/C controls off and adjust the vent tubes. they vibrate under certain rpms causeing that noise or at least it was the issue with mine.
That might be, I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke586 View Post
mine does it too but only at idle sounds like there is a freakin squirrel runnin around back there haha
That is what mine sounds like too. I guess I am not the only one which is nice to know. Now just need to figure out what it is and fix it.

Thanks guy..
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 AM

Wel mine does it to, i have 15,000 miles on it an it just started doing it about a month ago, mine does it when the truck isn't running, just turn the key to run and it sounds like a mouse running around in there now at first you could here like colant running through the heater core not very loud but now it sounds like a mouse running in there.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 PM

Well my truck is going in this friday to see if they can figure out what it is, I will post back when I know something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.