8K and my 6.4L is DONE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8K and my 6.4L is DONE

Day before we leave for May long weekend (I am Canadian so a week earlier than most readers) I go where I bought my truck at a local dealership to get first oil change. We headed out for the long weekend, hauling our 20' boat. We were going up a mild hill about 100kms from home, when we started to hear a slight ticking noise...then a louder ticking, no engine lights, no overheating then all of sudden WHACK WHACK WHACK. We sit on the side of road, boat and all for 4.5hrs waiting for Road Side Assistance (thankfully we have another F350 to come haul the boat or we would have to pay to tow it home) Long weekend so I'm in the dark 'till Tuesday. It's Tuesday and Ford calls to confirm details. Wenesday morning service advisor says they checked out the tranny and it's fine but diesel tech can't look at it until first thing Monday morning. I called the service manager ay my dealership I explained everything to him...100kms after first oil change, noises heard etc. He promised he could look at my truck immediately, picked up the phone and called a local tow company and covered the charge to flatbed my truck 40kms from where it sat. Truck is on his lot at 2:00pm Wenesday afternoon. Call in Friday afternoon to see what's going on and I get nothing but attitude. He calls back 5:15pm Friday, tech went out to "listen" to truck and thinks it's the rocker arm. Will get a chance to pull it in on Monday.....I get sick of waiting and finally I go into Ford this afternoon, half of the rocker arm is welded to the crank and the rest is in the oil pan. I have to wait another 10days for the new motor and then another 5 days in labour. Plus they want to charge me extra to lift the cab off of the truck because I have a 12" Rize lift so it's more work for them. So if the timeline is as stated I am almost a month without my truck and might walk away with a bill to boot. I Had to fight with them to get a 500m loaner. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with anything like this before. Because of the lift I am not to sure how much I should be yelling or pushing Ford but I need this truck for work and everyday it is down is money outta my pocket. Sorry for the rant but please post If you have any advice or similar experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ya know, its suppose to be trouble free. 8k is way too soon for probs to happen. ya you should fight ford for a defective product that you bought. its not like we have $55k layin around to buy a truck and not expect it to work.

sorry to hear that you are going through this.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 AM

Im almost at a week now without my truck....took it in for an update and they froze the computer.....still not fixed...i will be visiting the dealer today. No loaner vehicle, not even a question if i need to rent a vehicle. Gotta love it.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think that's ridiclulous that they think they can charge more cause you have a lift, when I was a tech (Toyota) you just dealt with vehicles like that. I could be wrong and maybe things have changed . Sorry to hear about your issues so soon in a BRAND NEW truck.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 AM
wriott

sorry to hear that, i know my dealer doesnt charge me for anything extra, they have worked on vehicles of mine with lifts and custom body work and have never said a thing to me about them
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sucks about the trouble with truck. I hope they dont screw you over!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

How loud was the ticking, before the "whacking"? Did your truck always have a slight tick, like the one often discussed on the forums? Sorry about the trouble, that's quite unfortunate.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
ive never ben asked to pay more because of my lift.. they are taking you for a ride.... god luck to you!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This rocker arm problem isn't a small deal. I talked to a diesel tech at a large dealership in metro Atlanta and he said they have had a few trucks come in with this problem.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats what they told you? A rocker arm welded to the crank?
I am no mechanic but I do know that is not possible....maybe a rod?
Are you modded?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.