Green Wrench light after full EGR delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Green Wrench light after full EGR delete?

Hello everyone. Before everyone bashes me for not searching the forums for this problem, I have, just to clear that up.

I have an 08 F250 and have had a DPF Delete and EGR blocker plates on for a couple years. I have an SCT Livewire 9625EOR for tuning with only canned tunes. For the most part, I am satisfied with it and the canned tunes. I recently decided to do the full EGR delete and Remove the EGR coolers as well and install an intake elbow. After install, the little green wrench came on the display but truck seemed like everything functioned properly. I plugged the EGR back into the wiring harness and the wrench went away, unplugged and it came back. I flashed my truck again and made sure that I selected "EGR Components Disabled", but light was still there.

I went to the forums thinking that surely there was a fix. The only fix that I found was paying for a custom tune. I went back out to my shop and grabbed my Ohm meter and checked the resistance between the pins on the removed EGR valve. The only solid reading I got was between two pins and it was 4.7Kohms. I went to Radio Shack and bought a package of 1/2Watt, 4.7Kohm resistors. I installed a resistor in the wiring harness to correlate between the two pins on the EGR valve. The result... no green wrench light!

So, I have drove truck around yesterday, around 100 miles, and all seems fine. My question is, does anyone know if this has been tried before and could it cause any potential problems? Less that $2 for package of resistors vs $75+ for a custom tune. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Green Wrench light after full EGR delete?-25721658-a23d-40e4-a1ce-11c61df22699.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I personally would just contact gearhead for a custom tune. It will take care of the CEL for the egr delete and I am sure you will be happy with the power and shifting.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My SCT did that when trying the canned tunes, I bought gearheads street file and the issues were gone. I just bought his tow file yesterday as well.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I personally would just contact gearhead for a custom tune. It will take care of the CEL for the egr delete and I am sure you will be happy with the power and shifting.
Not a CEL, just to clarify. Green Wrench symbol on display is different, signifies limp mode. No codes. My truck did not seem like it was reduced power with it on though. I got the wrench light to go away, by replacing where the wiring harness plugs into the EGR with a resister. Just wondered why I could not find anything in the forums where anyone had tried this before rather than paying for a custom tune.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hain View Post
My SCT did that when trying the canned tunes, I bought gearheads street file and the issues were gone. I just bought his tow file yesterday as well.
How do the gearhead tunes compare to the canned sct tunes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.