Lesson Learned About Dealers!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lesson Learned About Dealers!!

Last May we finally decided to break down and buy a newer Powerstroke (my 7.3 needed rebuilt and in the mean time I needed something to pull a trailer). We found a 2009 6.4 down in SD, went down, test drove it, really liked it, so we bought it. We were told it had a turbo go out and both replaced right before trade in. Here's where the first mistake on my part was...I didn't ask for the full records. TWO DAYS after we bought it, we were coming home and it sounded like gravel went through the engine and it died quite suddenly. Long story short, a rod broke, took a chunk of the block with it. New engine put in. WE HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT ISSUES SINCE. And its the same issues over and over. Finally we are going to a different dealer (that's closer as well but more expensive with things not covered under warranty). I stopped in at the dealer today and these guys gave me a full print out of what has all been done under warranty since it was new. Turns out that first engine we had was RUN OUT OF OIL which is probably what caused the turbos to fail and who knows what else. I do know the pickup will get fixed right at this dealer, but after this, I'm so done with the 6.4!! Selling it to buy another 7.3 I think.

Anyone else ever been SOL?? I know I learned I won't buy anything from a dealer without asking for service records if they have them. Nor will I buy from this dealer again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bought my 6.4 a year ago from a dealer. Truck had a dpf delete and me being a rookie i didn't really know what that entailed but it had no tuner on it. Ran the truck for roughly 4 months in constant regen until the engine blew. Had ford put in a new engine. They too didn't suggest i get a tuner. Cylinder number 2 blows up 2 months later. They fix the cylinder under warranty realize truck has a dpf delete I add a HS mini maxi tuner . 2 months later high pressure fuel pumps dies and engine over fills and fails. Ford again fixed for free because of the nightmare I've been through. 6 weeks since no problems yet…
Ive learned a helluva lot about diesel engines in the last year.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinlena View Post
Last May we finally decided to break down and buy a newer Powerstroke (my 7.3 needed rebuilt and in the mean time I needed something to pull a trailer). We found a 2009 6.4 down in SD, went down, test drove it, really liked it, so we bought it. We were told it had a turbo go out and both replaced right before trade in. Here's where the first mistake on my part was...I didn't ask for the full records. TWO DAYS after we bought it, we were coming home and it sounded like gravel went through the engine and it died quite suddenly. Long story short, a rod broke, took a chunk of the block with it. New engine put in. WE HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT ISSUES SINCE. And its the same issues over and over. Finally we are going to a different dealer (that's closer as well but more expensive with things not covered under warranty). I stopped in at the dealer today and these guys gave me a full print out of what has all been done under warranty since it was new. Turns out that first engine we had was RUN OUT OF OIL which is probably what caused the turbos to fail and who knows what else. I do know the pickup will get fixed right at this dealer, but after this, I'm so done with the 6.4!! Selling it to buy another 7.3 I think.

Anyone else ever been SOL?? I know I learned I won't buy anything from a dealer without asking for service records if they have them. Nor will I buy from this dealer again!!

Will your 7.3 run without oil in it? No. Buy one with clean history, do the deletes, and enjoy oodles more power than the old 7.3 can dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.