Deleting EGR valve and coolers - down to one bolt and it stripped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deleting EGR valve and coolers - down to one bolt and it stripped

Not sure if this is the right forum, also did a search and didn't find a solution. Here's my problem. I'm doing the EGR valve and cooler delete, and I'm using Sinister's kit. Also installing Sinister's coolant filter and Flo-Pro intercooler pipe at the same time. Everything was going smoothly, parts coming off as they should, new parts going on as they should. Got to the last bolt on the lower EGR cooler - the top bolt on the exhaust side. Sure enough, the head stripped. I use PB blaster, heat, you name it. I can't get it to come loose. I finally quit for the night and will tackle it tomorrow. What do you guys suggest to get this b@st@rd out?

Secondary question. Since the EGR valve and all it's plumbing are gone where do you suggest I tap in to hook up the coolant filter. The only lines left are into the Y pipe and the Degas Bottle. They are much bigger than the Tee's provided by Sinister.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The bolt head rounded u mean? I usually have luck with a QUALITY 10mm "twist" socket bolt extractor . Hammer it on and use a hand ratchet or an "impact driver"(not to be confused with an impact wrench/drill). If the head broke off the bolt ur kinda boned.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. Have you seen the space where this bolt is? No way I'm going to be hammering on it. I can barely get a wrench on it. I was using a 12 point ratcheting wrench and it still rounded. BTW, it's a #10 metric so all the wrenches I have are short. Also, I can't get a ratchet in there cause the exhaust pipe curves up and causes it to be at the wrong angle.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm thinking about trying to use a short hack saw and cut the head off. I'll have to fashion some sort of short blade and the strokes will be about 1/2" long. It'll take me forever to saw off the head. Anyone try that?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A quality twist soket doesnt nee to be hammered good, just hit. Might have to get creative in finding a way to apply force to it. Ive actually used it successfully on the back of turbo with the cab still on. But I suggest never using a 12 point on an exhaust bolt. And for some reason, a 6 point wrench works better than a 6 point socket. Ive had a 6 point socket round a head, then throw a 6 point wrench on it and it comes right off.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Scum - thanks for the reply. You're obviously way more experienced than I am. I live a couple miles from nowhere and don't have any twist sockets, so I guess I'll get in there with a dremel and grind away. Thankfully, the bolt is threaded into the EGR cooler so as soon as I get the head gone I'm home free.

Wish me luck.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quick update: Dremel did the trick. Only took 45 minutes and 26 discs. I now have a permanent imprint of the hood latch on my left inner thigh, but I finished!

I deleted the EGR valve and coolers, installed the Flo-Pro intercooler pipe, installed the Sinister coolant filter - and it only took me 11 hours total (of which 3 hours was getting the last bolt out of the lower cooler).

Glad that's finished. I can understand why shops want $800 - $1000 labor for that job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.