Large amounts of fuel in oil!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Large amounts of fuel in oil!!!

I have a 08/08 6.4L F350, that went to dealer with reduced engine power, and the wrench displayed. Ford dealer said it was overfilled with engine oil, so they drained 3qts and let me have it. 400 miles later reduced engine power light and wrench is back. So i pulled dipstick and again it reads high, I then pulled drain plug and drained 25qts from pan!!! Water level is normal, it looks thin and smells like diesel. I put 13qts in, showed med/low on stick and drove it for an afternoon, and light is already back and already several qts overfilled. that much can't leak past rings that fast????? I'm thinking injector, hpfp? Never found and codes with scan tool, but all I have is Genysis. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Truck has 80,000 miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I would be doing the deletes to that truck and stop the regen. Then see if you continue to get fuel in the oil.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only way fuel can get in the oil pan during regen is around piston rings?? Correct???
Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes fuel is injected late into #7 & #8 cylinders during regeneration to cause a temperature rise through the catalytic converter & the inlet of the DPF. Its very unlikely that amount of fuel in the pan is coming from regeneration, or even from a leaky injector, Your truck would be smoking acrid white smoke profusely if that was the case. You may have a leaking fuel line from the fuel rail to an injector, a bad fuel rail, or the shaft seal on the HPFP could be leaking, could even be the rail pressure sensor leaking. From your description of things, it sounds like it is getting worse.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^ Yup I would get that fixed ASAP. I would guess something under the valve covers like an injector or fuel line
Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys finally got some time, pulled cab and got into valve covers. No obvious sign of leak. cleaned around fuel rail and injector, but again see nothing. Every thing caked thick with baked old oil, I was thinking areas around the leak might show signs of being somewhat cleaner??? still have a little work to get to hpfp, location similar to 6.0L???
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya didn't run the engine with the valve covers off first? Sometimes ya gotta use dye in the fuel filter houing and/or rev the engine up to get frp up to spot the leak. most of what ive seen are drips at the injector side of the jumper line.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, didn't have oppritunity. I don't have access to an automotive lift, had to yank cab with 60 ton crane pretty overkill but that's all I had. Got till Monday to find, might just have to put cab back on, bite the bullet and take to dealer. If there was a leak on the high pressure side, wouldn't it probably have trouble starting or pulling itself down the road. Most people I've read about had problems keeping the truck running with shaft seals , hpf lines leaking?? Just kinda struck me odd finding several extra qts. drained out of oil pan, and only been driven a week or two since it was filled to the low mark on stick, and has never missed once or had trouble starting????
Old 03-20-2014, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not really. Almost all I have seen came in with a wrench light only. Had one with a cracked line, started it with valve cover off, and it shot fuel like crazy, misted the bay out in a few seconds, it ran fine. Worst one had a cracked injector cup and a leaking fuel line, and the leaking fuel line was bleeding the combustion gas from the hp fuel system. So after the line was fixed it stalled and ran rough, then had to rediag lol
Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer -still had warranty, they did multiple tests until they nailed it town to the high pressure fuel pump. New one put in. 6 weeks later same thing happened again. High pressure pump failed and sent shrapnel through the fuel system taking all injectors and fuel rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.