Need Help/Advice, Head Gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help/Advice, Head Gaskets

I just recently had my HGs replaced along with ARP studs on my 6.4. Invoice for completion was 1/21/14. HGs were replaced around 50k and it is near 53k now. $800 dollars in head work, they were supposedly checked and machined.

The truck is still puking:

I have tested two different caps to hold 16 psi (Stant and Motorcraft).

It has a brand new Mishimoto all aluminum rad b/c the last one would leak when it got near 0F outside.

Brand new thermostats, old ones were pulled to check for hyperextention, no issues with old or new.

Cooling system will hold pressure cold but not warm.

Put a pressure gauge on the cooling system 3/9/14. Went for a ride. No heat until ECT hit around 200, dropped back down to normal operating temp. Deltas are good. Got out on highway and let it rip in OD with the converter locked. Sure enough the pressure gauge jumps quickly from around 11 psi to 20 psi. Lost heat when this happened momentarily, then it came right back. ECT and EOT only jump about 8 degrees and the deltas still stay close.

I know this all points to blown HGs which were just done less than 3k ago.

The ONLY last shred of hope I have is a bad water pump causing pressure spikes but it all points to HGs.

Just looking for some advice on how to deal with the shop. The shop that did them are a very reputable shop in SW PA (they did tho mix gold coolant with the little bit of ELC left over in the block). I have called them already and said the truck was still puking, the response was bring it in we'll test the cap.

I mentioned the new rad and checking the T-stats and then they seemed worried. I didn't mention the pressure gauge b/c at the time I had yet to do it. They seemed very willing to look at it again.

I won't mention the shop name yet b/c as of right now I do sincerely believe that they will stand behind their work.

I really want to just come unglued b/c over $5100 later, the truck is no different than when they got ahold of it. For that amount of money and not having my truck for something like 10 days, I should not be even thinking of this situation right now. Rant over

But if anyone has come across a situation like this and would like to share what they found out, please do. I'm trying to cover all possible causes to my problem so that a solution can be found quickly and inexpensively.

Thanks in advance.

Truck is deleted, no EGR system left at all, Gearhead Tunes MCC based on H&S

Last edited by ars5147; 03-09-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 AM

Your right it does point to gaskets. If they are a reputable shop I am sure they will get you taken care of. Good luck bro. Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

I was just about to start a thread exactly like this.

I just replaced my head gaskets and installed ARP Studs. Egr's are deleted. Had a ford degas cap, then a stant, now an AutoZone ( was closest hoping it would help). Radiator was replaced at same time. Thermostats pass the test for being hyper extended. Coolant temp has not gone over 210 since the repair (hauling 14k) I have been a mechanic for 9 years and my friend who helped me had been wrenching for 20 years so I know the work was done right

Its been 2,000 miles and I am puking coolant just like before. She was pulling strong until just now. Im guessing cracked heads? Or did I get crap gaskets?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 AM

Update for who was watching this:

I took it back to the shop and they said they'd look at it. There was nothing they could have done besides check the water pump. They wanted to do that b/c I kind of got the feeling that they did not think that they could have messed up a stud job.

They checked the water pump and it was fine.

They called back and said they need to tear it down now to check they heads which of course is true. They said they will stand by their work if its something that they did wrong.

Then they started saying well maybe b/c the rad leaked that it could have over heated in the 2900 miles I put on it since getting it back and the heads warped again. Never saw a temp over 210F ECT or EOT. Deltas have always been good.

They asked me about codes. No codes after I got it back. The only codes the ruck has ever threw were related to the EBP sensor freezing up when it was real cold the one day before they studded it.

So the heads need checked. They assured me that the heads were good the first time and they were tested and machined and were fine.

I'm just worried about something being missed on the heads and them trying to say in those 2900 miles I caused it. There is no way this was caused by me. The truck puked almost the whole time after I got it back. I didn't know it was over pressurizing the cooling system until I could get a new rad installed b/c the other one was leaking on the tank. Soon as I got a new rad it started blowing out the cap like crazy.

At the first moment they even seem to be trying to pin it on me blowing the gaskets with ARP studs in 2900, I will be contacting a lawyer to figure out my options.

Most unlikely scenario ever: I drive the truck 50k (40k of that tuned and deleted) and the HGs blow around 48k, a very reputable shop that specializes in powerstrokes, pulls the cab and studs it and checks the heads and everything like they should and somehow they blow again in 2900 miles? Ya right.

Everything points towards something going wrong when it was studded. Looking back at he symptoms and whats been going on since it was studded, points to nothing was actually fixed. They still leaked. They leak way worse now too. I can make it puke on command. Just lock it in OD and get on it on a flat interstate. Ive seen pressures as high as 24 psi in the cooling system according to my gauge I made.

I just hope that not being able to see it right away b/c of the leaking pile o crap radiator doesn't bit me in the ***. Or that a head did crack in that short amount of time after them being checked. That seems very hard to believe could happen though.

Last edited by ars5147; 03-23-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where do you keep your coolant level at? Do you have the updated degas bottle?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:03 AM

Before I began having problems, I ran it in the middle of the cold fill range. I have the original bottle too. It's a job1 so it's not updated or anything. Never had a problem with puking b/c of the coolant level.

It can be a low as possible now in the bottle and still puke bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.