P0087, intermittent fuel rail pressure drop and engine rattle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0087, intermittent fuel rail pressure drop and engine rattle

Ok so I have posted a few threads on what's going on but I can't get or find a answer on what I should do next one mechanic says he couldn't find fuel related issues and the other said rocker arms and hpfp. My truck starts and runs everyday most days when I first crank up and start to accelerate fuel rail pressure will drop to 1.8 or so on mini max and I loose power ten seconds later it jumps back up and runs fine other than a knocking or tapping coming from the engine at idle. I changed my fuel filters and oil after this started about 3 weeks ago also changed my fuel rail pressure sensor while in there all of the rocker arms under that valve cover look good. Also p0087 shows up almost every time I drive it. Any suggestions are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That code usually points to HPFP. Have you checked the pressure on the LP system to rule out a faulty lift pump?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea I did but I'm not sure I can trust the gauge I used because it is rated from 0-100psi and the I feel I need something smaller. But pressure neddle only moved 1 or 2mm not much at all it wasn't Evan half way to ten and when I revved up engine pressure went down by the way this test was done at the Schrader valve. Doesn't this pressure need to be 3-8psi. HFcm is 580$. I think it may need replacing but is there anyway to further test it or anything I can try
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How can I make sure there is no trouble from the tank to the hfcm
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 AM

I am not sure what the pressure should be from the LP pump. Hopefully one of the tech's will chime in. You can check the lines from the tank to the LP pump to see if maybe one is pinched. I think I read on the army one time that a member had that problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so I went and bought a better fuel gauge and fuel pressure test from schrader valve on fuel cooler is 4.5psi and drops to 4 psi when I reved engine to 3000rpms but the truck is running fine right now no tapping or knocking and no codes and I have been driving all day I'm going to repeat test when it is running ruff again
Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The factory HFCM will deliver a maximum pressure of 24 psi (relief pressure). I believe the normal operating pressure is between 4 -6 psi . This 4-6 psi is supplied to the secondary fuel filter on the engine, this filter housing has a built in regulator that regulates the fuel pressure supplied to the HPFP to 3 psi +-0.5 psi. The excess fuel delivered to the secondary filter is returned to the HFCM where, depending on its temperature it is either returned to tank or recirculated back to the inlet of the HFCM.
The 3 1/2 psi is delivered to the internal transfer pump of the HPFP which raises the pressure slightly & supplies fuel to the volume control valve & onto the high pressure pistons in the pump. A portion of the fuel from the internal transfer pump is used for internal lubrication of the HPFP and is returned via the fuel cooler. Excess fuel relieved from the HP pressure control valve & the injector leak off passages also returns via the fuel cooler. The return fuel pressure measured at the fuel cooler outlet Schrader valve should be between 3-8 psi.
Fuel from the cooler is directed back into the secondary fuel filter housing.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

P087 for me was the lift pump not the HPFP but mine just died one day. Hopefully you get it figured out I know how frustrating it can be
Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all of the replies. Ok so I ran another pressure test on the low pressure pump at the fuel cooler pressure was fine but today I contained the fuel in a clear cup and there is little specs of shinny metal in it. Does this mean my hpfp is going out
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so when this all started the second mechanic I took the truck to found that the fuel cooler pump Circuit was open p008c but truck did not show me any codes on cluster or mini max and I found that the wires were cut and the pump was bad and when I replaced it there was not any fluid in the hoses at the pump and I don't know how long it was like that. COULD THAT HAVE MESSED UP MY HPFp do to fuel temps being to high?? WHY DIDNT I GET THAT CODE WHEN WIRES WERE CUT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.