wrench light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wrench light

Hi guys. Just thought id see if you had any ideas. every once in awhile I get the wrench light when im out on the highway. I know everyone says oil cooler, but if it was clogged wouldn't the light come on all the time?? I drove 800km last weekend one way. No wrench light. I drove about 80 km back and light came on. Drove about 200 more km like that, there is no diff in power anything, then stopped for lunch. started truck and drove rest of way home , about 500km, and no light. Next day drove 40 mile drive and half way there, "cleaning exhaust filter" came up on dash. after about 10 minutes, wrench light came on. Im thinking the light is related to my dpf. I noticed my exhaust stinks. and I have never seen a "finished cleaning filter" in a long time. also noticed my exhaust sounds different. it sounds a little like a hairdryer, like when guys delete the dpf and tune their trucks.Pretty sure last two times I noticed the regen mode start, not long after I got a wrench light. idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM

im wondering if the wrench light has something to do with my dpf? I noctice it doesnet seem to go into regen as much as it used to. and when it does it never says "finished cleaning exhaust filter" anymore. It used to. and the thing that is steering me in that direction is the fact my exhaust sounds different. at least I think it does. theres quite a bit of turbo whistle out the tailpipe, like I have a delete. not much but more than I ever heard before. used to be quiet. and my exhaust seems louder, expecially under the pass seat area, where the filter is. I step on it and it sounds louder, and better lol. idk
Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

I don't know a lot out these trucks but if you were able to get an OBDII scanner hooked up and see if it is throwing any codes while the wrench light is on or off would be a good start.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM

yesterday truck went into regen when driving down the highway but I had to stop and pull over to do something. I noticed the wrench light was on when I got back into the truck. usually when I turn off the truck the light goes off. so I did , but the wrench light stayed on. a cel came on too. first time in two years. I drove it around yesterday and today. starting and stopping truck, but cel is still on. still think its regen related. nobody around here has a scanner. I live in andy Griffith town , sask where nobody has nothing. mechanic charges $40-60 just to hook up a scanner and takes weeks to get in. truck drives and sounds normal. fluids good. idk?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you get a ECT/EOT correlation code, do not instantly hop on the oil cooler bandwagon. If that DTC is also accompanied by a "Coolant flow/performance" code, It is worth putting in a thermostat. If your ect fluctuates it can throw a wrench and kill power. Thermostats in 6.4's fail often. takes about 3 hours.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM

thanks for your reply. my truck has 272000km (169000km). I know its a lot, but ive had the truck 2 years and I love it. I could live in this thing. Its my baby. I change the oil every 5000km or 200 hrs and I change the filters every 2nd oil change. Shes been good to me. just this damn wrench light thing. when I had an sct livewire plugged in, the ect was just under the spread before wrench light would come on. It was like this for nearly 40 miles and then just before I got home the degrees shot up 1 degree more and the wrench light came on. its weird because like I said, I drove 500 miles couple weeks ago and no wrench light. Then drove 40 miles coming back and light came on. shut her down for lunch and drove her home the rest of the 500 mile drive with no light. Yesterday came on after 30 miles. first time it came on was last summer towing a small travel trailer. pulled over and shut down the truck to use bank machine. restarted the truck and drove the rest of the 200 mile drive to the campsite, no wrench light. when coming back it was on the whole way. idk. on , off, sometimes. weird. Idk about reduced power either, because it has never operated differently when I get this message. now I got cel on steady. ill have to go to ford sometime here I know. its 75 miles away and my job closed down. that's the ****ty thing. looking for work and need money to get this thing right. I want to delete all the emission crap and figure out this current problem first. I love this truck, but right now its like another wife. Love her , but want to strangle her other times lol. not really lol. but you know what I mean. thanks for your reply. appreciate it
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Usually, with oil cooler, the wrench doesnt come on until EOT is around 230 degrees. Ive also seen "master techs" throw a 4000 $ dpf on a truck that only needed a dpfp sensor connector pigtail, those are common. You can also get alot of egt and dpf codes from the 2 huge connectors on the drivers front fender cover. They get poor pin fitment issues.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 PM

thanks. ill take a look
Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM

idk if its a coincidence or not, but I just reset my aircleaner button( I have s&b), and started the truck and the cel is off
Old 03-16-2014, 04:27 PM

mine was the thermostats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.