Aluminum in Oil Analysis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aluminum in Oil Analysis

How concerned should I be with this report and what do I do about it? No heavy towing, but the truck has done a lot of snow plowing this winter. Last Feb report was before I did DPF and EGR deletes. This report is after Deletes.
See report attachment from Blackstone:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 F250-022314.pdf (25.2 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

having the same issue as you with high aluminum. just did a quick mid oil cycle sample with about 1200 miles on the oil and it was high again. I'll post a picture of it today sometime. but here is a thread i started back in january when my levels started getting higher.

Blackstone Oil Reports are getting worse! What do I do now?

basically, in short, unless you know the grade of aluminum they are referring to, you cant be sure exactly which part of the motor its coming from. another thing that was mentioned to me was, think about how many trucks out there that don't get UOA's done that probably have high aluminum levels. and they run for thousands of miles without issue. just a thought.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

As stated it depends on the grade of aluminum. If I had to guess I would think its coming from the pistons. I guess just keep an eye on it.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Kris. I just read your last thread on this topic. Don't know why I didn't find it in a search. But wow. That is some high Aluminum levels. Was this sample you did at 1200 miles just as high (127ish)? I am concerned at a 31 reading.

Fatboy: I hear what you are saying to keep an eye on it. But isn't the reason we do OA's is to tackle these issues in the early stages?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Yea man I understand where you are coming from. We do UOA to catch problems before they come big. The problem is no telling where the aluminum is coming from. It could be pistons or other components. If you had coolant in your oil we could probably tell you where its coming from. The problem with aluminum is you would have to know for sure what component it is from. All you can do at the moment is keep an eye on it and see if it continues to go up or maybe it will go down. Maybe it was from ideling a lot while plowing.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Yeah. It has gotten some hard work from plowing. And I mostly do large driveways, and small parking lots. So it's a lot of slow moving forward-reverse, etc.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
Kris. I just read your last thread on this topic. Don't know why I didn't find it in a search. But wow. That is some high Aluminum levels. Was this sample you did at 1200 miles just as high (127ish)? I am concerned at a 31 reading.

Fatboy: I hear what you are saying to keep an eye on it. But isn't the reason we do OA's is to tackle these issues in the early stages?

Thanks for the replies.

it ended up being 1400 miles.. but the count was still high. 69 after 1400 miles.. here.. i'll let you see for yourself. the truck runs freaking awesome.. it doesn't miss a beat, i just had it out hauling my dump trailer loaded down with junk, about 8K lbs total on my gearhead Hot Street tune, never once gave me any issues, and then just yesterday , i plowed for 12 straight hours, didn't miss a beat. I love this truck, but this aluminum stuff has me worried.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1400 miles.pdf (64.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-08-2014, 04:38 AM

Not trying to start a BS oil argument but out of curiosity, what motor oil are you running? I read a couple oils can cause high aluminum, so I switched my oil and will be finding out if it's really a factor for my truck.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 AM

I'm using the Ford MotorCraft 15w-40 diesel blend for Powerstrokes.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 AM

Some oils I'm sure will cause a jump in ppm but not jumps like we are seeing here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.