Coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Coolant leak

I'm having a problem tracking a coolant leak. I thought it was my radiator at first. When the truck is warm and parked on level ground it drips from the driver side corner of the radiator. I didn't drive it at all yesterday and it was parked on a slight incline with the rear of the truck lower and it was dripping off the oil pan on the passenger side. And looked to be coming from the water pump. It didn't leak a drop today sitting on level ground on the way home it was leaking by the radiator again. Got home parked with the rear lower and truck warm it hasn't leaked in either spot. It's about to drive me crazy.

2008 f-250 LARIAT, SCT LIVEWIRE, S&B CAI, 8" MBRP STACK
post #2 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe a poss and I'm not sure as I'm somewhat experiencing the same thing but, could it be the lower radiator hose, the two piece one? From what I have been told they haven't updated the ends on that one. also may explain why the leak changes sides as that hose runs all the way across.

2010 F250 6.4L Powerstroke 4x4 King Ranch
S&B Stage 2 CAI
MBRP 4'' DPF/CAT delete pipe w/Bungs
DPF-R plus 70HP tune
EGR Deleted
Custom Intake Elbow
Sinister Coolant Filter
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I recently ended up replacing the water pump and upper and lower hoses due to leaks. The water pump was under warranty, the rest wasn't so it didn't come cheaply.

2015 F350 DRW Platinum, SCT X4, EDGE CTS2, aFe PDS, AirLift 5000 Ultimate & Wireless Air, Lund LED Bull Bar, RC Grille bar, B&W 5th Wheel, Stark LED Lighting
2010 F250, H&S Mini Maxx, aFe PDS, Diamond Eye 4", Pro Comp Nitro 2.5", Bilstein 5100, SmittyBilt Bull Bar, Bushwacker Pocket Style, B&W Slider, Firestone Ride-Rite, Fuel Hostage 20x10, Pioneer/Kicker/JL Audio

post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I don't understand it. It hasn't leaked a drop in the past 4 days. I'm getting to the point where if I see it leak again I'm just gonna change hoses water pump and radiator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #5 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Crawl under the truck to see if it is still leaking... When mine first went, the first leak was large (enough to empty the degas bottle by the time I noticed it) and subsequently got smaller over time. Eventually, there wasn't much dripping onto the ground as I only had to refill the degas after I first noticed the leak. But the leak never actually stopped. I could see some components were getting slightly wetted underneath.

2015 F350 DRW Platinum, SCT X4, EDGE CTS2, aFe PDS, AirLift 5000 Ultimate & Wireless Air, Lund LED Bull Bar, RC Grille bar, B&W 5th Wheel, Stark LED Lighting
2010 F250, H&S Mini Maxx, aFe PDS, Diamond Eye 4", Pro Comp Nitro 2.5", Bilstein 5100, SmittyBilt Bull Bar, Bushwacker Pocket Style, B&W Slider, Firestone Ride-Rite, Fuel Hostage 20x10, Pioneer/Kicker/JL Audio

post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

The bottle has only dropped about 1/4" and hasn't gotten any lower. I took a sharpie and made a mark at the level it is now and hasn't dropped any further. So I'm not sure what it's doing any more

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE=JD_MILLS;8327657]The bottle has only dropped about 1/4" and hasn't gotten any lower. I took a sharpie and made a mark at the level it is now and hasn't dropped any further. So I'm not sure what it's doing

I just replaced my o-ring degas bottle hose, it took a bit to find it leaking but eventually seen it from viewing under truck.

All else good since your stud job?

08 F250 6.4L
CcSb Lariat 3.73
5200lbs springs, rear blocks removed, Nitto Grapplers
aFe Mag Force II Si pro 5R w/modded box
H&S MiniMax/Mcc & Gearhead tunes w/Blendmount
aFe Mach Force XP 4" Exhaust w/downpipe
Custom-Diesel Deleted, H&s wastegate w/Intake Elbow & CAC pipe, MPD Ccv/Oil fill mod, Alradco intercooler,
SD Coolant filtration/ CAT ELC...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode