Decent oil leak Blown turbo or seals or more? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decent oil leak Blown turbo or seals or more?

I started my truck this morning and let the truck get up to 140F before I left the house. I didn't even make it a mile when I noticed it was smoking profusely out the tailpipe when a car pulled up behind me. I made it to the next street where I turned off and popped the hood it smelt like oil in the engine bay. My truck is fully deleted and am venting into the atmosphere with a 1" hose and I noticed that it still had built up pressure inside the oil fill which I don't think it ever has. I saw some oil residue in the hot side pipe and copious amounts of oil in the exhaust. I don't know enough to definitively tell if it is just a seal or one of my turbos blew or if this is something worse? I don't beat on my truck ever and rarely get on it but I keep within safe paramaters.

Thank you to all who help and can tell me where to start with this. I don't have a garage so I can't do much until I get to one.

P.S. Truck has no loss of power from what I could tell, has no missing or odd feel to it, coolant still looked like it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So there wasn't oil all over the engine bay but just mostly in the exhaust? Is there a lot of blowby coming out the oil fill when you start it?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Yup there was quite a bit. Even with the CCV vented to the atmosphere there was still pressure under the cap when I spun it off. There is zero oil in the engine bay.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 AM

Sounds like it could be a piston
Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

That's definitely something I wanted to hear
Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 PM

I really hope its not man but its kind of sounding that way.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

So I figured out the problem and hopefully no damage was done. My 1in CCV hose that ran to the back of the cab developed a sag in it where moisture built up and froze which preceded to block of any venting all together. I cut the hose just behind the fender wall and it now has a straight shot down to the ground.

Do you think I may have been spared and no head gasket damage was done? Or any damage in general? I didn't run it like that very long.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 PM

my high pressure turbo had about 1/2 slack in the center section and damaged the seal which was allowing engine oil to get by and was pushing it into the intercooler and into the engine. I ended up putting a motor in my truck because of the turbo. I got down on the truck and all of a sudden smoked poured out of it and it killed. when I tried to start it back it would barely turn over. I had only had the truck maybe 12 hours pulled it back home to find it only had 7 quarts of oil in it. finally got it to start back up but had a bad knock. come to find out it had bent a rod because the turbo was actually sucking the oil out the engine and pushing it into the engine and when I got down on it it forced a bunch of oil into one of the cylinder and could not burn it and being liquid doesn't compress some thing had to give so it bent a rod. if I was you I would pull the piping from the high pressure turbo and see if you have slack in that center section. it aint hard to do and could save you a engine and a lot of $$$$$ if that is the problem..
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

I did that and it still has hardly any play at all in it. It's been 3 days now and it runs great as it always has.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 PM

Good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.