White smoke and loss of power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke and loss of power

I have a 2008 F250 Job 1 (DPF-R deleted with Banks 6 Gun) that just turned 100,000 miles. While driving to work today, it briefly bogged down and started billowing white smoke. I lightened up on the throttle and it went away. About an hour later, I go to drive it again and the same thing happens. Bogging, loss of power, and billowing white smoke with mixes of black smoke. The second time, it would not stop. I barely got the truck home.

I did some research and read about the condensation in the intercooler. Checked that, no fluid in intercooler. Also read might be EGR? Any other ideas?

I just had the 100k service done about a month ago at my local dealership.

Last edited by lx5spd; 01-02-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Seems like there are quite a few of us having this issue right now. Mine did the same thing for a day or two, then threw a code for the EGR valve sticking. Then it started to clog up the DPF. Coolant getting into the intake somehow I figure. Still troubleshooting this, but I am looking at either a leaking EGR valve, or EGR cooler at this point.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone have any updates on this? My truck ran fine this morning, we stopped for a few minutes and when I started it back up it was doing this same thing. Never had any other problems prior to this afternoon.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been having this problems for several months. My 2008 f-350 is currently at ford for the 100th time. They finally got the truck to go into what I call the crazy mode. Loss of power and white smoke. They have it in million pieces right now and can't find anything wrong. According to them Ford is lost and so are they. They think it may be the latest program that has been installed. The one that doesn't tell you anymore that's it's in Regen. As of close of business yesterday Ford told them to reassemble my truck. they have the cab off along with just about everything on the outside of the motor. Turbos, exhaust, EGR you name it. If they do figure it out I will make sure and post the results.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had it towed to a friend of a friends garage and he sd he pulled the secondary fuel filter and it has shavings in it. Thinks I may need a whole new fuel system. I heard the injectors can be rebuilt. Anyone know if this is accurate? I'll probably know more in the next couple days. The truck ran fine all morning, after shutting it off for about 45 minutes when I started it the problem started. Never threw any codes or anything had no power, was running rough and was smoking like someone was burning carpet! LOL Smoke was white with an occasional puff of black and grey smoke. He sd when he hooked his laptop to it he could see which injectors weren't firing and sd the compression in all 8 holes looked ok.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

White smoke is typically coolant. EGR Cooler leaking would be my first guess. Don't run it till you look into that because you don't want to hydrolock your engine and break something.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2008, and it did the same thing multiple times. Each time, it was the EGR cooler. I'm on my 4th one so far at 158,000.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Went to the shop today and talked to mechanic. He sd the whole high pressure side needs replaced and the low side and tank flushed out! HPFP, lines, injectors, rails and everything in between. He is going to let me shop around for parts to get the best deal which I think is more than fair. Any suggestions on OEM from Ford or aftermarket? I plan to put stock injectors and pump back in it, buy the Sinister EGR delete kit and add a Spartan tuner. Truck already has DPF delete and EGR is tuned off with DPF-R, exhaust and AFE Stage 2 CAI. Any input is appreciated. I don't want to have to do this again!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Cross View Post
I have been having this problems for several months. My 2008 f-350 is currently at ford for the 100th time. They finally got the truck to go into what I call the crazy mode. Loss of power and white smoke. They have it in million pieces right now and can't find anything wrong. According to them Ford is lost and so are they. They think it may be the latest program that has been installed. The one that doesn't tell you anymore that's it's in Regen. As of close of business yesterday Ford told them to reassemble my truck. they have the cab off along with just about everything on the outside of the motor. Turbos, exhaust, EGR you name it. If they do figure it out I will make sure and post the results.
I wondered this myself, because the truck started having issues about 1,000 miles after I brought it in for the 100k service. Did they install some new software onto the truck without my knowledge?

Anyways, here's an update.....

I had it towed to a local diesel shop and they said it's not the EGR coolers because the coolant level is normal. They think it might be the EGR valve hanging open because it smells like raw fuel. I would think if that were the case, the smoke would be black and not white, though. I'm no expert though as this is my first diesel.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will let you know next week if mine is the EGR or REGEN as I am having all the junk removed. My truck only smokes while in REGEN. It runs great the rest of the time. The shop that is completing my mods has had very good success stopping the white smoke with the mods. This is not my first diesel but it has been a long time since I drove one daily. I have owned a lot of Ford Diesel trucks in my prior business and have never had a problem like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duck Cross For This Useful Post:
Trx250r (02-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.