2008 f250 6.4 Will NOT stop smoking !!!! please help :( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 f250 6.4 Will NOT stop smoking !!!! please help :(

i recently bought a 2008 f250 6.4 about 2 months ago. love the truck ran great no problems at all . Although the last 2 days the truck just keeps blowing majorrrrr grayish smoke out of the exhaust. id say about every 10 min the " cleaning exhaust " notification pops up then the smoke starts. today it came on 5 times so far. Also i have noticed when i give it more throttle i hear a loud sucking noise that comes and goes and engine makes totally different noise . fuel milage went from 13.5 to 10.0 . Took it to ford and they said nothing is wrong with it. just a normal thing with diesels. funny because this never happened before, charged me $ 237 for ABSOLUTLYYYY nothing !.. I'm a new ford owner so still trying to learn as much as i can about these diesels. PLEASE can anyone help me ???????? I'm lost .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This doesn't sound 100% normal for diesels. I am having similair problems. And it can get bad quickly. Mine started doing the white/gray smoke a few days ago, started throwing EGR valve codes, and eventually the DPF started showing codes.

I am assuming, and maybe I am very wrong, that this could be an EGR cooler leak. Sounds like maybe some coolant is getting mixed into the intake from that or another source.

Is this occurring any less frequently when the engine is completely warmed up, or is it just as bad when its warm?

I am hoping someone else chimes in on this, but I would get that EGR cooler checked out right away.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to skipnay
Is this happening after driving like a steady speed on the highway? Also is this after it just rained or while it was raining?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for your input . when its running at cooler temperature it does not seem to do it . but as it gets warmer then it all starts happining . the truck did do this about a week after buying it but went away that same day. didn't really pay much mind to it. but the past few days it has gotten extreamly bad. just bombes the roads with soooo much smoke, and gas milage just keeps on dropping. i just don't understand why ford would tell me this is totally normal. i hope i don't do more damage if i keep driving it .
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

EGR cooler leaks aren't that common on the 6.4 but thermostats are common. If either (2 in 1 housing) is stuck open, the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off the DPF. The temp gauge may show normal.

This will give you smoke once the DPF starts plugging up.

However, EGR valve issues do exist and you can count on replacing the housing as well since the 2 don't separate well. Don't assume the EGR cooler is leaking if you see moisture in the intake, it usually comes from the EGR valve itself if it still has the coolant lines attached.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Hauser; 12-31-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too am having the same issue. Mine is more common when I'm driving in colder climate. It has happened when its raining as well. My Ford Dealer hasn't been able to make it happen while they have it. It can go weeks without smoking and then it will just start again. Strong smell in the cab when it starts smoking. Any help is appreciated..
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If its not smoking regularly, it's not thermostats. Is it happening more before an oil change? Check your oil level. If it is high - as in an inch high or more, you could have an internal fuel leak at an injector (usually the jumper line). This will cause you to suck the mixed fuel and oil into the intake and burn it that way, causing smoke

Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I change the oil every 5K and the level doesn't change between changes. At least not yet. Ford does the service work and I check the oil every time I buy fuel. I had the fuel filter changed when I bought it and then again 10K miles later. It was clean as a pin. I have new turbos, high pressure fuel pump and charged air cooler. About to put a match to it next!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauser View Post
EGR cooler leaks aren't that common on the 6.4 but thermostats are common. If either (2 in 1 housing) is stuck open, the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off the DPF. The temp gauge may show normal.

This will give you smoke once the DPF starts plugging up.

However, EGR valve issues do exist and you can count on replacing the housing as well since the 2 don't separate well. Don't assume the EGR cooler is leaking if you see moisture in the intake, it usually comes from the EGR valve itself if it still has the coolant lines attached.

Good advice, Thanks for that. I guess I need to look into the Thermostat when I do the EGR delete. I am not having a problem with temperatures at all myself, and it isnt a regen problem (I used to have regens without hitches maybe twice per oil change), but the last 4 months or so they have been much more frequent, and now the EGR valve issues. I could see how the EGR cooling lines could be causing the leak in.

Any way for me to check the EGR cooler to check that for leaks before I tear it off? I want to ensure I am troubleshooting this correctly myself.

Sorry if I am hijacking.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Best way is to remove the EGR housing that way you can look at the intake and the outlet of the vertical cooler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
f250 6.4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.