Trucks over heating and can't locate the issue. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trucks over heating and can't locate the issue.

Like the title says, my truck started over heating Christmas night and I can't find the issue. I have dpf delete tunes and dpf delete, but egr is so on the truck, but it's in complete failure. Was leaking coolant then randomly stopped. Dane with the bottom drivers side of the radiator. I don't know what's going on. I'm doing the delete for the egr and bought a patch for the radiator if it needs one. Do you guys think I might have found the issue? My coolant temps stay consistant around 200-220. But my oil temps just continue to climb. But my truck had no heat either, so im not sure if im just losing pressure and the thermostat ain't opening, or is there another issue on top of thermostat not opening? Please help. I'm in Indiana, 1200 miles from home and half to pull a camper back Friday. So this is kind of an emergency.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM

As well when I'm sitting at an idle to let it cool down my fuel temp rockets up. Then slowly cools with everything else

Old 12-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

could be anything, thermostat could be stuck, which caused the egr to get hot and rupture, could have caused radietor to get hot, unfortunately might not be what you want to hear, but it could be a number of things that could lead to more damage if you continue to drive it as it
Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Low coolant/air in system?

Impeller spinning on water pump shaft?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Had the same exact issue..got stranded pulling a camper in indiana also..ended up being a head gasket..truck just sitting until it gets fixed
Old 12-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Well everything started out of nowhere. The coolant tank fills up when it's warm so I know thermostat isn't opening. I'm just hoping it's air in the system, Im Perry sure the radiator. has a crack which when I do my egr delete I'm going to patch it so I can get home. Them I'm getting mishimoto radiator. If it means anything, I had to start topping the system off when the egr was leaking, and was using tap. I'm going to flush the system when I do my egr delete, so any tricks to assure no air in the system, after I hook everything back up. I'm replacing thermostats as well. Should I do water pump too? I'm almost certain it's coolant system. Considering the leaks. The egr valve has been off for about a month now so that leak has just been in a void, that I am removing. I have no oil leaks or anything like that just the radiator and egr leak. Egr is going buh bye, and I have a plastic radiator patch that im hoping will hold up for now since it's not a major leak. But like I said im 1200 miles from home and have a camper I need to pull home. So any input Id nice so I can get home.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:31 AM

I did egr delete...new water pump..new oil cooler..new thermostat...new bottle cap...and complete flush on mine and still overheated bad when pulling trailer...you also dont want too much tap in there with the weather being as cold...are you blowing any coolant out of the cap?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you have no heat, you have no circulation. Especially if you have 200 coolant temp. Replace your water pump

Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM

I get no heat when my truck overheats and guess what..wasnt the waterpump or tstat...leaking head gasket on the exhaust side pumping exhaust into my coolant causing air pockets in cooling system including heater core
Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 AM

No coolant transfer, no white smoke, and I pulled the cap off when it got to temp, and no spray. No leaks, no fuel or oil anywhere it shouldn't. And the coolant temp stays consistent around 200-220. It's the oil temp that is over heating. So im assuming it's from no circulation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.