Valve Guides - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 04:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valve Guides

Valve guides, what are they and why the hell does my engine not have them. Is this something I can go back to ford with. Or am I on my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey250 View Post
Valve guides, what are they and why the hell does my engine not have them. Is this something I can go back to ford with. Or am I on my own?
They all have them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 AM

I'm in now for substantial repairs and mechanic tells me there were in the tens of thousands of 250's produced in the beginning that went out without them. To small a number for a recall but detrimental non the less. My vin fits in that time frame. Is this mechanic wrong??
Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I'm in now for substantial repairs and mechanic tells me there were in the tens of thousands of 250's produced in the beginning that went out without them. To small a number for a recall but detrimental non the less. My vin fits in that time frame. Is this mechanic wrong??
Probably not. Sounds like the retarded bean counters/engineers got their fingers in on an idea that "if we get rid of the valve guides, we could save some money." So I'm going to assume Ford tried to case harden the through holes of the head instead of installing real valve guides. And now you end up with your situation.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 AM

It's always a good idea on paper!! They prob wanted see if they could slip it through at the consumers expense not theirs. I have to tell you I'm shell shocked I'm $6,000 to $8,000 in repairs, haven't received final bill, I'm thinking seriously on getting rid of it or burning it!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
It's always a good idea on paper!! They prob wanted see if they could slip it through at the consumers expense not theirs. I have to tell you I'm shell shocked I'm $6,000 to $8,000 in repairs, haven't received final bill, I'm thinking seriously on getting rid of it or burning it!!!
I dont blame you. This is one of many reasons why I bought a 7.3. Emissions crap is reason #1 why newer diesels have such a higher failure rate than those of old.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:32 AM

Nail on the head, bullseye!!!! And the funny thing is that the average diesel burns cleaner than a gas engine. Now I hear that they are going to add yet another filter, because of ammonia produced from the additives. Between fuel prices, additive prices, fuel prices, and repair prices the average won't be able to afford a nice rig anymore!!! Prob what they are trying to do.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Its funny nowadays people will say "oh 80k miles is a lot of miles on that truck. Better stay away." Mines got 416k on it. Granted engine was replaced at........305k.

Btw, there are a few people that have completely converted a 6.4 and 6.7 interior/exterior on to an a SD 7.3 chassis so they have the looks of new but reliability of old. You'd be surprised at how much stuff is a direct bolt on for new parts onto older trucks. Heck a 2013 cab and bed are still a direct bolt on to a '99. Doors are also direct bolt on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.