Fuel gel issue? Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel gel issue? Help

So here's the thing, I live in ND and we've had a nasty cold snap this week. The truck had been sitting for a few days plugged in with number 2 fuel in it. I put power services diesel kleen white bottle on top of the fuel so it didn't properly mix I don't think. It started this morning just fine. I came back two hours later and it wasn't running. Hesitated to start again and made it
A mile before starting again. I pulled the secondary fuel filter and added 911 to it and to the tank. Truck threw two codes on my HS BLACK MAX one was low fuel rail pressure one low injector pressure whole
Cranking. Let it sit for most of the day today started it right up it ran for ten minutes then died. Primed the fuel system up with the ignition and got it going again then died. drained water separator and and got same results. I am going to try and get it in a heated shop tonight and change fuel filters in the morning. The truck has an aftermarket exhaust but I noticed the dpf sensor is hooked into exhaust but I'm pretty sure the dpf has been deleted as I have a tuner in the truck. It does still have the EGR installed. I am hoping I don't have a fuel pump or injector issue. The truck only has 70k on it.

Any input or questions would be much appreciated. It is -45 here with the wind chill so it would be nice to get this thing running again. Thanks

Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had similar problem with mine last winter. Happened one time and after changing filters outside when it was -30 said to heck with it and only run #1 fuel when it gets below 0. Yes it does cost more to run but its cheaper than having it gel up and risking problems down the road.

PS. I had a 50-50 blend of #1 and #2 when mine started to gel used Diesel 911 to get it ungeled
Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine gelled last week too. I also got the same codes as you, although not at the same time. I got the low rail pressure code when it died. Once I got it all cleaned out and new filters in, I got the low injector pressure while cranking. After a couple tries it started rough, with a little help from my foot on the accelerator pedal, but once it was up it was fine. Hopefully yours is fine too.

The secondary filter isn't the one that gelled on mine though, it was totally fine. The primary filter, the lower one on the frame rail, was where the problem was. It was covered with crap. Change your filters, especially the lower filter, and I bet things get a lot better.

The water separator is before the filter, so it'll work fine even if your filter is completely plugged (which it probably is).

I use the white bottle of Power Service too. It didn't keep it from gelling, and it was only -6 here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.