2008 F250 6.4 Reduced Engine Power - Fuel in Oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F250 6.4 Reduced Engine Power - Fuel in Oil

I have a 2008 F250 with 132,000 miles. I was pulling a load a couple weeks ago and when accelerating to highway speeds it said cleaning exhaust filter, made a knocking noise (from the motor I think) and then went into reduced engine power and wouldn't go over 2000 rpm. I drove it the rest of the way home at about 30 mph with no other problems. Took it to the dealership , they said it was exhaust temp sensor, $300 and was back on the road. It ran fine at all speeds, even with a light load, then had a heavy load on it this weekend and it did the exact same thing. This time dealership says there's fuel in the oil and wants $900 just to pull the valve covers to research it further but no guaranteed fix. I tell them no because at that point I was convinced it was the dpf causing the issue and was planning on learning more about the delete kits. On the way home from the dealership, no load, went to accelerate to highway speeds and it made the same knocking noise and went back to reduced engine power. This time it didn't say anything about cleaning exhaust filter and put out a lot of white smoke. I limped it home from there. So while I was originally wanting to learn more about dpf delete kits now I'm wondering if there is another problem. Any advice would be appreciated. Do I have to take this thing to Ford or would other repair shops be capable of properly diagnosing?(not that I believe that Ford is even capable)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It has been my experience with diesels over the years is that they all make some oil over a given period time. I'd have to say that Fords response to the second failure was a way of saying "we don't have a clue at this point".

I personally didn't buy my truck to become and experienced for diesel mechanic. I let them know that today as my truck crossed over that magic 30 or more days in the shop number.

I have the extended warranty on my truck and they told me today that depending on their findings they may need to have an insurance adjuster come out and o.k. the repairs. In the same breath they said they were currently backlogged with diesel truck repairs. That later I have been told every time I've had to take the truck in. To me that seems like a poor business plan.

Would I recommend taking it to a reputable shop other than a Ford dealership. Hard to say, I would have to think that Ford sees more problems with their trucks than anyone else and would have access to far larger knowledge base than any independent shop. I think that's going to be a decision only you can make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.