2008 F350 6.4 L motor rough idle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F350 6.4 L motor rough idle.

Saturday, the engine threw a code and lit the check engine light. It acted like it was stuck in overdrive during acceleration.\

Sunday, I start the truck and it starts fine but after maybe 30 seconds there is a definite click and the engine acts like it's missing badly.

I put it in gear and then back in park and RPMS went briefly to 1800 and then back to a rough idle.

I turned the ignition off and then re-started and the idle was normal (check engine light still on). I put it in gear and back in park and it was fine. I drove it and the throttle seemed really sensitive or possibly very short hesitations.

The problem will repeat itself when the engine is started again cold.

The truck is scheduled to go in to the dealer tomorrow. I'm hoping someone knows this symptom so I can know it the dealer has it correctly diagnosed or not. They've missed in the past but have always taken care of it so I'm really more concerned about my down time.

Last edited by sschefer; 11-18-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Tried it again this morning and it repeated. I took it around the block and noticed that I was not showing any boost on the gauge but I could hear the turbo whine. I gave it a short goose and it made a racket under the hood and still no boost. If I accelerate lightly runs o.k. but not right.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Just did some checking and realized that most of the symptoms are typical of a DPF failure. Any thoughts?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Just changed the fuel filters but no change in symptoms. This was just to eliminate the dealer saying this was the problem and charging me 300.00 when I can do it myself for 60.00. It only took 4 key on, crank, sequences to fire back up so I seriously doubt it's an injector issue. Still at zero boost. The needle doesn't even twitch but I can hear it spin up and back down. In the old day's I'd say the waste gate was wide open. Not sure what to say to this though.

Last edited by sschefer; 11-18-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What code # did it throw?. No boost could be many things. You could check the MAP sensor & see if its plugged, but getting the fault code first will point you in the right direction before tearing into things unnessasarily.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 F350 6.4 L motor rough idle.-map-sensor2-small-.jpg   2008 F350 6.4 L motor rough idle.-map-sensor-port-2-small-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM

I don't have a clue what the code it is that it threw. I don't have the equip to read it. I'm not intending to tear into it, It's going into the dealer first thing tomorrow morning. I have the full extended warranty on the truck so as long as its a component failure it just cost me a 100.00 bill. If it was something like a filter then I'd have to pay for that. The reason I changed it out was because it was time to change it and I didn't want them changing it and charging me shop prices to do something that I could easily do myself.

Last edited by sschefer; 11-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

I took the truck in this morning. It took three start and shutdowns to get it to run well enough to limp it to the dealer. I got the same old story of them being backlogged with diesel repairs and I might not get the truck back until next week.

They then informed me of the potential costs and I informed them of my standard labor rate and that without the truck I would be billing them for lost revenue. To that they responded that I was eligible for 5 days of rental vehicle up to 35.00 per day. I told them that would be fine but I'd need a truck that can pull a 4000 lb boat because I am a fishing guide. To that they said that none of their trucks have tow packages nor does the rental company that they deal with.

I said, I understand and left it at that. This person was working the service desk and is not responsible for company policy so it's not his fault and he didn't deserve to receive the wrath of my anger. I'll take the issue to upper management.

As a side note: The truck has spent well beyond 30 days in the shop since I've owned it. Will this effect my buying decision when I replace this truck. Yes, most definitely and not positively.

Last edited by sschefer; 11-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Dealer Service Manager called me and said they think the problem is a failed Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor. The part isn't in stock but will be here tomorrow and they will replace it and see if it fixes the problem.

Not being trained on these motors I can see some logic to it. If there isn't a reliable back pressure indication then it would make sense that the turbo would not be allowed to provide boost. What bothers me is that if the sensor went bad did it fail on it's own or was there something else that caused it to fail. I have a strange feeling that this may lead to a DPF replacement.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Dealer just called and said my truck is ready for pickup. Looks like it was just the Back Pressure Sensor after all.

This problem is now resolved. Hopefully some one can reference it in the future and do their own repairs.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Summary from Ford

Codes Found: P0193, P0642, P1335 and P0069. Found that all codes were related to the VREF Circuit and that they all share monitored PID's for EGR, MAP, BARO, EBP, VREF and VPOWER. Found VREF shorted.

Started unplugging components for the PIDS being monitored and found that when the EBP sensor was unplugged the concern went a way. When plugged back in the concerns came back.

Replaced internally shorted EBP sensor, cleared codes and retest. All Pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.