PLEASE help me out with my sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 AM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
PLEASE help me out with my sound

my truck has the sound described in this video when revving (no its not my truck). it started just a few short days ago, strangely, less than a week after i got home from deployment... FML. I haven't really been beating on it, but have done a few 3/4 throttle runs passing other annoying drivers, but mostly less than 5-10 seconds. anyways I am thinking maybe a rocker arm is broken? What do y'all think? If it is the rocker arms, in theory, i should be able to figure out which side it is coming from and should i just replace all the ones on that side, and the push rods, just to be safe, or should i just replace one set of rockers? what all parts will i need for the job? I am super afraid to drive the truck right now as I don't want to hurt it. Am I even going the right direction with what is wrong with the truck? I am not getting loss of power, no hesitation, no misses, no blue smoke, nothing of the sort, just an embarrassing rattle-clacking sound

6.4 tick-cackle-knock - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm no expert, but I'm gonna say it's the rockers.

If it was me, I'd just replace them all. If one went, another might not be far behind.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 AM
live for the now

What all parts are required? Obviously rockers and push rods but what else?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke Techie

My truck has been doing that for almost two years now.

Based on fuel trims, power output, and relative compression I wouldn't say it's rocker arms.

Sounds more like piston slap on my truck to me, if your noise is exactly the same.

I haven't lost a whole lot of sleep over it.

There's also the possibility of a cracked flywheel on my truck causing the noise, but again I haven't really got into it yet. It used to go away when I changed the oil but it seems to be there all the time now.

There's actually a TSB for that noise, says don't try and fix it, it's normal, but I am not really convinced.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:17 PM
live for the now

so is it safe to drive?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If your noise is the same as the one in that video, my truck has been making the same noise for almost 2 years and I've been driving it daily, probably about 60k miles so far with the noise and I haven't had any issues.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
live for the now

just as an update, we replaced all the rocker arms, and bridges, and the sound is still there, and continually getting louder and more prominent. we checked the push rods, and they were good, checked compression, still good, checked for fuel pressure, still good, so i am at a loss. we noticed if we would increase the pressure to injectors, the sound would get more prominent. makes us think its the fuel system, possibly injector rattle? i inquired about changing out the injectors, and was told it would just come back, as it is a design flaw of the injection system, with increased fuel pressure, and larger tunes.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM

bro this is the same noise my truck is making and I just put in a new engine, injectors and turbos. the motor only has about 600 miles on it. the noise is very annoying exspecially if you driving on side a wall or big truck you really can hear it. if you find out what is causing this please let me know. im going to bring the truck back to the shop that installed the engine and see if they can find the problem. I have to wait for it to get out the dealership having the transmission replaced. ive had the truck 7 weeks and has been in my position for about a week and a half. the rest of the time been in the shop. motor let go after 12 hours and 39 miles of having the truck. it has been nothing but bad luck. so any lil sound out the ordanry has me worried on this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.