loosing/ possibly burning coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Please Visit our Site Sponsors
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
loosing/ possibly burning coolant

Hey guys hows it going, I know this is my first post but I used to be here under the user name mpiller, I just had to make a new account though. I've got a 2008 f250 4x4 with the 6.4 that I've had for about 2 1/2 years now. Right now it has a little over 170k miles on it. I've got a spartan tuner, afe intake, 4 inch straight pipe exhaust with a dpf and cat delete. I run the 275 tune on the spartan, and about a year and a half ago I blew the head gaskets so I had the egr delete along with arp head studs done. Now recently over this past summer I noticed I was loosing coolant at a decent pace, but I never noticed any spots in the driveway. I also noticed I was losing oil slowly, but I was able to pin point that to a pretty common gasket behind one of the pulleys in front of the motor. I don't remember the name, but it seemed to be a pretty common problem so I just watched the oil level for now. Now I just did my first oil change since this has been going on and I noticed that there was a hefty bit of metal shavings on the oil drain plug and what I am wondering is do I have something major coming up? What common problems should I be looking for? If these are signs of something major is there anything I can do to prevent it?
Thanks guys I'm just getting worried about the coolant problem and now the metal shavings have me really wondering what could be happening. Any insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Start with replace your coolant cap. $5 part. The OEM one has a kinda weak spring. See if that takes care of it before panicking. They're supposed to be replaced every time you service your coolant system anyway(at least that's what I always heard). If you aren't seeing smoke, how much are you losing? Is it a whole lot?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you mean smoking out of the tail pipe? In that case no it only smokes when I get on it enough to make it smoke, and I'll try the cap. And for a while it was losing about half a gallon per week, I ran some coolant sealer through it hoping that would help and it seems to have slowed it down now but it is still slowly losing coolant.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa123 View Post
Do you mean smoking out of the tail pipe? In that case no it only smokes when I get on it enough to make it smoke, and I'll try the cap. And for a while it was losing about half a gallon per week, I ran some coolant sealer through it hoping that would help and it seems to have slowed it down now but it is still slowly losing coolant.
Thanks
Might be a pinhole leak in the radiator. Start with the cap, see if it fixes it. If not, save your pennies for the Mishimoto all aluminum radiator. Though I hear the Vista Pro is cheaper, and still better than the OEM
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just going to chime in and say first off dont put a coolant leak stop product in these trucks your fuel cooler as well as your oil cooler is made up of a very small ported radiator and these products can easily cause the ports to be come plugged and the coolers will no longer do their jobs.

If it were me id start off by getting the truck up to working temp and do a good visual check under the truck and looking for coolant on frame around the lower and upper radiator connections. If you cant track that you need to pressure test the system under load

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThcGunSmoke View Post
Just going to chime in and say first off dont put a coolant leak stop product in these trucks your fuel cooler as well as your oil cooler is made up of a very small ported radiator and these products can easily cause the ports to be come plugged and the coolers will no longer do their jobs.

If it were me id start off by getting the truck up to working temp and do a good visual check under the truck and looking for coolant on frame around the lower and upper radiator connections. If you cant track that you need to pressure test the system under load

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, I'm new enough to these trucks that I'm going on my old school troubleshooting. I kinda figured that it's a bad idea to use the stopleak junk. I never use it myself. Of course, my reason for that is I live in Phoenix, and any radiator issue is short lived, because you have to replace parts rather than use the stuff you can pour in. But I still stand by replacing the stock cap. It's part of my regular maintenance routine anyway, so every time I drain the coolant system, I replace the cap. $5 insurance. The bad stock cap only holds 3-5 PSI. At 3PSI you can boil at 125ºC. So your reservoir may actually be steaming out on you.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys, how would I go about pressure testing it? I've gotta go from memphis to tuscaloosa tomorrow so I'll take a real good look at it and check for leaks when I stop.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so to pressure test it I could buy or rent the kit and basically it just goes in place of the cap, bring it up to pressure and see if it holds. Thats simple enough, but lets say it doesn't hold then where should I begin to look from there?
Thanks for all the help
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Check your oil first to make sure nothing is in there(pray is doesn't look like chocolate milk). Check along the side tanks of your radiator. Check hoses. If you can't see anything, get your cylinders compression tested. But start with hoses, tank, rad. You may have a slow leak on the radiator that isn't enough to drip, but enough to drop the fluid.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I just did the oil change, and it wasn't milky so I don't believe that it had coolant in it but I should probably let it settle and then see if any water is in it. What had me worried was that there was a decent amount of metal shards on the magnetic part of the drain plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
State/Province
What state or province do you live in?
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter the last two characters of the word "Powerstroke"
Security Question #2
*Required, this field is not shown to others. "While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State the animal mentioned in the sentence above."
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.